Join now - be part of our community!

How to extend battery's life?

profile.country.ru_KZ.title
aldionlato
Visitor

How to extend battery's life?

Hello everybody!

I have a Vaio laptop model VGN-AR320E.

Some days ago I replaced the battery because the original one that came with the laptop was dead.

My question is: what can I do to extend as much as possible the battery's life?

My main concern is about having the DC cable plugged in.

I was told that this may damage the battery if it is fully charged and continues to receive DC power.

But, as far as I know, the recent models have a chip inside to manage the power and battery issues.

I don't know if this model has it.

Can someone please explain a little more about this.

Thank you in advance,

A.L

2 REPLIES 2
profile.country.GB.title
mike_coreit

Modern batteries are designed so they won't be damaged by over/under charging. A typical Li-ion battery will last 2-3 years with typical use.

Hopefully sony can give us some advice on the best charging practices.

profile.country.en_GB.title
Slinn64
Visitor

A battery will last a long time provided the battery management software is working (if not it can indeed be over-charged and damaged - it's to do with electrical properties of the battery chemicals and if not charged at the correct rate / temperature it will rapidly degrade) ...

In a seperate thread I've had similar problems and had to re-install the Sony VAIO Battery Checker software. If you've made any kind of update to your Windows software then you may also need to put back the Sony software.

Try running VAIO Care Recovery and Restore programme (from the start menu), use the Recovery option  - Reinstall Applications and Drivers – and re-installed the Battery Checker (check box option).

Perhaps first see my other reply message to see if there are any similarities

Vaio Battery does not seem to keep its charge?  (this has pasted into here as a link - if the link doesn't work try using the text to search the forum)