Join now - be part of our community!

Standby power consumption

profile.country.AT.title
Kuschelmonschter
Hero

Standby power consumption

I started to measure power consumption in standby with an EdiMax SP-2101W and FHEM software.

First test I have done is with optimized settings like:

Remote start: disabled

Automatic software downloading: disabled

plot2.jpg

There are easily 50-100 wake-ups per night which might sooner or later upset the PSU.

At least with those optimized settings, it went to deep sleep for the first time about half an hour after switching off the set (going from ~20W to 0.5W).

This test was done with the antenna cable unplugged. It might very well be that the TV therefore fails to update the EPG/services, retrying every X minutes.

@Anonymous @Peter_S. Maybe you guys can find something out about Sony standby behavior? That does not look too healthy...

Next night I will try with antenna cable plugged in.

Tags (1)
86 REPLIES 86
profile.country.AT.title
Kuschelmonschter
Hero

fezo01 schrieb:

if no internet cable is connected and wifi is not enabled, the TV will turn on every 5 minutes

Can't really confirm that. I will give it another run tonight.

profile.country.HU.title
fezo01
Explorer

yes

profile.country.AT.title
Kuschelmonschter
Hero

Here is another night with WiFi being disabled on the Sony:

sony_nowifi(2).jpg

You can clearly see that wake-ups happen way less often for me now. Manually disabling/enabling WiFi is of course no solution!

profile.country.GB.title
Jecht_Sin
Enthusiast

@Kuschelmonschter Yes, I am using static IP because I want use the Adguard DNS. I can't stand waiting 10 seconds loading ads when oing a speed test. And Adguard DNS surprisingly is fast enough (ping at 80-90 ms, and the queries are at most immediate). But the issue was the same using DHCP.

I enabled IP Control only now, after asking about it in here. Thanks for the link, now I understand what it is supposed to do!! To control the TV via IP, I had never though ot it. It would be cool to find a client for it. So, no, I still believe the reboots are fixed, at least partially, in Android 7.0. They happened after a month, but other things were crashing as well. Which is why I did the reset indeed.

Anyway, it says IP control is supposed to stay active only for 30 seconds when there are no connections from the client. Thus theoretically it shouldn't drain much energy. The problem is that I don't trust it works as it should. Although the behaviour with IP control ON now seems the same I had with IP Control OFF before the reset.

profile.country.HU.title
fezo01
Explorer

Sony reply

This is the normal TV operation. You are now connected to the Internet and looking for updates. This can not be changed.

Fu....

profile.country.AT.title
Kuschelmonschter
Hero

That's the typical Sony answer. First they tell you to factory reset, then they pretend that the next FW update will fix it, and the last you will hear from them is that everything is normal and within specification anyway.

Looking for updates every 3-5 minutes is ridiculous. I have no clue what is wrong with Sony nowadays. I suppose it is actually "E.T. phoning home" rather than looking for updates. So Sony neither deserves the green nor the trusted badge.

@Jecht_Sin

I tried with IP Control tonight:

sony_ipcontrol.jpg

The TV did not go into deep sleep anymore. So better don't use or recommend this setting anymore...

profile.country.HU.title
fezo01
Explorer

Within the European Union, they are punishing very unrealistic things very hard.
The TV does not correspond to the standby power consumption description.
TV does not comply with the privacy statement. (the TV also sends data if I have not accepted it)

I contacted an official Sony service. I'll tell you what they said!

profile.country.AT.title
Kuschelmonschter
Hero

Couldn't agree more. We live in a EU where there are even regulations for tractor seats. Then again the car industry can also do whatever they want. What drives this is economy and lobby.

profile.country.AT.title
Kuschelmonschter
Hero

We also got an answer from German Sony guy @Peter_S.. He also states that this is normal for an Android device and that it is specifically due to the Google Cloud Messaging (GCM) service which is most likely active as soon as you sign into your Google account and unfortunately can't be deactivated.

Seems like Google just does not get the TV right and Sony doesn't care that Google is wilfully damaging their devices...

profile.country.GB.title
Jecht_Sin
Enthusiast

WHAT?!?! 19-20W constant with IP Control on?!?! Are they mad or what? It's just an HTTP/TCP service! Sure the Ethernet interface doesn't go down anymore! And sorry for the many exclamation marks, but things like this drive me mad!!

I can't believe this (well, that's a figure of speech. I actually had a strong feeling that was the case). Turning it off now, I hate to throw energy in the toilet. Not to mention that my AVR has IP Control enabled as well and the apps I tested recognize the AVR, but obviously not the Bravia. Oh, the best app I've fpund (at least for the AVR) is Peel Remote if anyone is interested to try it. Maybe it works with Android 6.0.1.

Kuschelmonschter wrote:

Looking for updates every 3-5 minutes is ridiculous. I have no clue what is wrong with Sony nowadays. I suppose it is actually "E.T. phoning home" rather than looking for updates. So Sony neither deserves the green nor the trusted badge.

I woulnd't blame Sony in general, though. This is all Sony Bravia (with Mediatek). The Xperia division has been delivering fresh new security patch updates every month. Plus with some minor bug fixing I suppose. And my X Compact is already in the list of Sony phones that will get Android O. Guess which Xperia phones from the same year are excluded? The ones with a Mediatek SoC, obviously!! Ad the Mediatek XPeria received the Android 7.0 update while all other (supported) Xperia with Qualcomm SoC were on 7.1.1 already.

So this would be my rating:

• Support for Sony Xperia (with Qualcomm): 9 out of 10
  • Support for Sony Xperia (with Mediatek): 6 out of 10
  • Support for Sony Bravia Android TV: 4 out of 10