Join now - be part of our community!

Standby power consumption

profile.country.AT.title
Kuschelmonschter
Hero

Standby power consumption

I started to measure power consumption in standby with an EdiMax SP-2101W and FHEM software.

First test I have done is with optimized settings like:

Remote start: disabled

Automatic software downloading: disabled

plot2.jpg

There are easily 50-100 wake-ups per night which might sooner or later upset the PSU.

At least with those optimized settings, it went to deep sleep for the first time about half an hour after switching off the set (going from ~20W to 0.5W).

This test was done with the antenna cable unplugged. It might very well be that the TV therefore fails to update the EPG/services, retrying every X minutes.

@Anonymous @Peter_S. Maybe you guys can find something out about Sony standby behavior? That does not look too healthy...

Next night I will try with antenna cable plugged in.

Tags (1)
86 REPLIES 86
profile.country.AT.title
Kuschelmonschter
Hero

@LingUaan on German forums says that this does not happen anymore if you unplug the LAN cable and disable WLAN. Seems like the TV frequently calls home. No surprise that there are nightly crashes...

profile.country.GB.title
Jecht_Sin
Enthusiast

@Kuschelmonschter Ok, now I am confused. When I clicked to the link to this thread it took me to the Austrian (.at)  forum.

Anyway, after a factory reset now my Ethernet interface has to reconnect at every wake up. But if I ping the TV interface from my computer, with the TV off for a whole night, it works. So I am not sure if it is (deep) sleeping or what either.

profile.country.AT.title
Kuschelmonschter
Hero

With signal cable plugged in, the picture changed only slightly. The TV went into deep sleep a bit later. It could perform the EPG/service update this time. Still it woke up every few minutes.

power_2017-08-25.png

Next tests:

(1) WiFi disabled

(2) Remote start enabled, automatic software updating enabled (to check whether the TV goes into deep sleep at all)

profile.country.AT.title
Kuschelmonschter
Hero

With disabled WiFi, it looks indeed way better.

power_2017-08-26.png

profile.country.AT.title
Kuschelmonschter
Hero

I summarized my findings about Sony Android TV standby behavior here.

profile.country.GR.title
MiCal1967
Contributor

I had a similar issue.

Main cause was the Update GUIDE in STBY.

https://community.sony.co.uk/t5/android-tv/android-tv-in-stby-mode-sometimes-not/m-p/2294485

Heat is also high and is dissipated even on aerial port or satellite both ports

Yes I have this suspicion too about on purpose "things".

Those TVs were a real failure. Today I manually deleted some Satellite channels and a few minutes later they "came back" viewed on GUIDE as 1000(two channels) as 1002(two channels) as 1003(two channels) and by browsing by UP/DOWN with RC PROG+/- the Info Bar indicated numbers like 10001, 10002, 10003, 10004 etc. Meanwhile in Settings - Channel setup - Digital setup - Satellite Set-up - Satellite Programme List Edit, those channels were nowhere. They did not exist!!!!! :sweat_smile::sweat_smile::sweat_smile:

I don't know about new 2017 XEs and A1s but I suppose electronic circuits are similar and...... NOT MADE IN JAPAN.

profile.country.AT.title
Kuschelmonschter
Hero

It gets even worse. This is what it looks like after enabling Remote start:

sony_remotestart.jpg

Right until 23:00, the TV kept going to sleep and waking up every few seconds without the user noticing anything. So what happens at 23:00... well... my Synology NAS is being switched off for the night. Some network traffic indeed prevents the TV from staying asleep. I wonder how long the TV can survive that and how many broken power supplies suffered from this issue...

But even with Remote start being disabled, the TV keeps waking up every few minutes in my network, also with the Synology NAS being switched off. So there still seems some traffic that wakes the TV up which stops after unplugging the LAN cable and switching off Wi-Fi.

It would probably be best if the firmware shut down the network interfaces when going into deep sleep.

profile.country.AT.title
Kuschelmonschter
Hero

Kuschelmonschter schrieb:

Right until 23:00, the TV kept going to sleep and waking up every few seconds without the user noticing anything. So what happens at 23:00... well... my Synology NAS is being switched off for the night. Some network traffic indeed prevents the TV from staying asleep. I wonder how long the TV can survive that and how many broken power supplies suffered from this issue...

It was the ZeroConf protocols (Bonjour/SSDP) on my NAS which caused this huge mess. The problem is not solved though. In the IoT era you might have some devices in your home which announce their services over ZeroConf. And even after disabling the services on my NAS, the TV still woke up every few minutes, even with Remote start being disabled, which is totally not acceptable!!!

Remote start on (Bonjour/SSDP enabled on NAS until 23:00):

sony_remotestart.jpg

Remote start on (Bonjour/SSDP disabled on NAS):

sony_remotestart_nobonjour.jpg

Remote start off:

sony_noremotestart.jpg

profile.country.GB.title
Jecht_Sin
Enthusiast

@Kuschelmonschter Just out of curiosity, what's the average power consumption per hour in the best and worst cases? Because Sony claims it is 0.5W w/o network and 3.00W(Wi-Fi) / 3.00W(LAN) / 0.50W(Bluetooth), so I assume 6.5W. 

I believe the manufacturers are bound by law to respect some values, as I think the real values can't be  (much) above what they claim. I'd like to know what some crazy environmentalist think about this.. (anything in order to have Sony/Mediatek fixing that awfully broken OS).