Join now - be part of our community!

SONY BRAVIA KD43XE8396 2017 twin tuner?

Humblepye
Explorer

SONY BRAVIA KD43XE8396 2017 twin tuner?

Hi all, 

Recently brought a new BRAVIA I was over the moon at first, great definition, picture quality sound etc me and my wife work different shifts so we usually record shows so we can watch together on days off (previously did this through playtv on our old ps3 until that ended up breaking) so we looked and was overwhelmed this had a twin tuner function. 

Firstly, I was let down with youview as you can't record on this function with the remote (this took some research on how to disable youview, why you chose this as the tvs default setting I would never know) so happy days I can record on Sonys own TV guide! However, I found this was only working as a single tuner, I.e when I record I'm forced to watch what I'm recording, I can not pause live TV and I can not record two things at once.

My question is...how do you use the twin tuner? Because I feel like I been miss-sold and I been a firm Sony fan for years! 

6 REPLIES 6
profile.country.GB.title
cass_n
Community Team

Hi @Humblepye and welcome to the community,

I'm just looking into this for you and will come back to you shortly.

Cheers,
Cass

profile.country.GB.title
cass_n
Community Team

Hi again @Humblepye - I've checked this for you, and I'm afraid that your TV does not have a twin tuner.  It has two physical tuners (1 digital, 1 satellite), but it can’t be described as twin tuner, as that implies two digital tuners.

profile.country.GB.title
First_Knight

Hi Cass N & Humblepye,

I agree with Cass N:

I have also just bought this tv, and already knew these 'two tuners' would be:

1) 'freesat' - which connects to a satelite dish, probably using a SINGLE core cable.

and

2) 'youview' version of 'freeview' using a 'normal' co-axial aeriel cable.

Unfortunately since I can't use EITHER of them anyway - I have no outside 'freeview compatible aeriel', nor does my 'satellite dish' use a SINGLE core cable, since it has a DUAL core cable - the type that connects to a Sky+HD box that allows recording of TWO 'Sky' channels at the same time, one of which must be 'watched' while being recorded - it did not really interest me what 'types' they were.

I am sure that IF you had the 'right box' or 'boxes' - freeview pvr and/or freesat pvr - assuming you have a dish with right dual core cable (and corresponding 'LNB' on the dish) and/or a powerful enough outside co-axial aeriel, you could find a way to 'record live tv' using the tuners on THOSE boxes, which would use hdmi connecting to your tv, so with an aeriel cable 'splitter' (assuming a good enough freeview signal) you could 'watch' youview or freeview via the TV's tuner while recording another channel from your 'freeview or youview box.

You could probably do the same (if you had/have a dish with 'dual core' cable (and LNB) if one cable core was connected to your tvs' built in freesat tuner, and the other cable core was connected to a 'single tuner' external freesat box.

To record ANY programming from this TV (using a 'compatible app'), I think is probably done by connecting a HDD to one of the usb ports, but I have no idea which app (if any) can do that.

Perhaps you can let me know?

Thanks

Blessing & Peace to all

First_Knight

profile.country.GB.title
cass_n
Community Team

Hi @First_Knight,

You can find information on recording to a USB HDD device in the Help Guide, here: http://helpguide.sony.net/tv/eaep1/v1/en/03.html

I hope this helps.

Cheers,

C

profile.country.DK.title
Pederpedal
Explorer

I have a Sony KD-65A1 with two tuners;

Why can’t I record two programmes simoultaneously when there IS two tuners ?

It allows me to WATCH a different program whilst recording another, but not to record.

It also has no ‘pause’ of live TV

This is a limitation compared to all other PVR’s I have had !

Will there be an uppdate to fix this ?

profile.country.GB.title
First_Knight

Hi,

I think the answer why you can't record from BOTH 'tuners at the same time is PROBABLY pretty simple. Your TV is not designed as a PVR.

I have no idea if there would ever be an update.

To find out what your TV is capable of doing (& NOT doing) I would check your user manual for that info - unless that is as crap as the one on my Sony TV, which was no where near as expensive as your TV.

First_Knight.