Join now - be part of our community!

5 year guarantee

Thomaskatz
Explorer

5 year guarantee

Just had a Sony KDL49WD751BU Black - 49inch Full
HD Smart LED TV with Freeview HD, WiFi delivered from the Co-op online, no paperwork for the guarantee, They say its down to Sony and gave me their Phone No Sony say I must purchase it.

Where can I get help?

Advert says 5 years

http://www.coopelectricalshop.co.uk/Sony-KDL49WD751BU-Black-49inch-Full-HD-Smart-LED-TV-with-Freevie...

10 REPLIES 10
profile.country.GB.title
Mick_D

Hi Thomas

You should contact the Co-op about this. Although I'm not familiar with this particular promotion,  5-year warranties are normally offered in conjunction with selected retailers for a limited time only, and adminstered by the retailer in question.

Best wishes

Mick_D

Community Manager

Thomaskatz
Explorer

I did the reply from the co-op:

Thank you for your email.

The TV you have purchased automatically is provided with the 5 year manufacturer’s warranty, however if you wish to receive a personalised certificate of warranty registration please contact Sony by calling

0844-176-0266. 

I phoned Sony and was told I would have to pay for an extended warranty

It's clearly in the web advert as a manufacturers warranty

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi there

Have a read of my post on this link:

https://community.sony.co.uk/t5/other-tvs/5-year-guarantee-nothing-has-come-with-the-paperwork/m-p/2...

Even though this was related to a previous years promotion, I would assume that things would be the same.  Also, read the read of the thread too, as it might help.

I am also assuming that this current promotion is relatively new and maybe some of their systems have not been updated.  I have also looked around at other retailers and can confirm that other retailers are providing this same promotion.

Advise you to give Sony a call (once more) - however it will take a number of weeks to obtain your personalised guarrantee.

If they say the same thing again, please reply back and ill see if i can do some digging and get to the bottom of this.

Cheers

Thomaskatz
Explorer

Thanks for replying Quinnicus,

I'll ring Sony again after the Co-op has responded,

from the Ad the offer has been running since 2015 so I'm sure it's genuine, I just wish two established companies could get there act together and save customers like me the hassle of chasing details/paperwork, I'd hoped for better from Sony, the reason I'm clarifying it is my last TV (Toshiba) broke after two years, so the 5 year guarantee made me lean towards Sony

• Sony FREE 5 Year LED TV Guarantee, available on selected Sony HD LED Televisions
FREE Sony 5 Year LED TV Guarantee.

Sony are providing a Free 5 Year Guarantee when purchasing selected Sony HD LED Televisions from The Co-operative Electrical Shop.

The FREE 5 Year Guarantee promotion is available from Thursday 1st October 2015.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @Thomaskatz

Please bare with me - a lot of things are happening in the background at the moment.

Just to clarrify - what date did you purchase the TV  and what date was it delivered?

Cheers

Thomaskatz
Explorer

Hi

The TV is new.

I don't think there is a problem anymore,

I now have saved an email from the Co-op saying the 5 year guarantee is from Sony, plus the Co-op advert is current and stating it's a Sony promotion. I have registered the TV on this site to date it.

So the only hassle now is keep phone/mailing until I get some kind of paperwork for Guarantee registration/contact if it is ever needed,

google has come up with another couple of reviews like this from last year.

Service rating : Bought a Sony TV with a so called 5 year guarantee. When I registered this Sony said it only had one year. Much corresspondence (emails) took place between me and the Co-op and they now say this is sorted. I have this in writing and they yook the trouble, but they need to stop this happening.
Product : Excellent picture. A full manual would be handy though. Gets a better signal than my old TVs.

so I imagine it's not uncommon, on the plus side the lowest price and quick delivery from the Co-op was brillant, same with the TV, plugged in cable and mains and got excellent picture straight away

thanks again

profile.country.GB.title
MJay23
Explorer

Hi Thomas,

did you get any joy from either Coop or Sony? I have the same issue where Coop have told me to call Sony and Sony are saying they need to 'update' their systems before they can give me the Guarantee registration. so now i must wait a month. The funny thing is I bought a Sony TV from Currys 5 years ago and the guarantee was in the box and all i did was fill out the info and post it off and i recieved the guarantee back within a week in the post. Im not sure why this proceedure is so complicated and why Sony / Coop make us (the customer) do all the work.

cheers

Thomaskatz
Explorer

Hi
Yes, Sony said when I had an invoice from the Co-op contact them again, I
did and had to forward a copy of the invoice and received confirmation of
the guarantee within hours.

It was long winded, it took about a month, both the Co-op and Sony guy's
were easy to deal with, but the system is archaic.
profile.country.EE.title
loonghoong
Explorer

l like sony.