Join now - be part of our community!

Uneven surface appearance on KD55A1

SOLVED
profile.country.GB.title
YorkieCampo

Uneven surface appearance on KD55A1

Hi,

I'm actually now on my second KD55A1 courtesy of John Lewis' exemplary customer service due to visble dimples in the screen.

The first TV that I received had a very visble dimple just smaller than a tennis ball on the screen that clearly distorted reflections when caught in the screen.  When I spoke to John Lewis about it they just agreed to replace the TV with no quibbles.

I took delivery of the replacement TV yesterday and this actually has 2 dimples in it and when you look at the top of the frame around the TV you can see that it doesn't actually run true and appears to wave somewhat.

Is this just a characteristic of OLED panels or a manufacturing flaw? There is no distortion on the actual picture itself.

Nothing comes up when I google it and nor have I ever heard it mentioned during the numerous review articles and videos that I have encountered.

Has anyone else experienced this?

I'm going to try and speak to Sony UK about it this afternoon so will see what they say.

Cheers,

Ben.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
profile.country.GB.title
YorkieCampo

Well, I've just heard back from Sony and technical support have confirmed that it IS a characteristic of the screen due to the manufacturing process of the TV.

I've registered my dissatisfaction with the fact that they didn't give me that answer 2 weeks ago when I originally raised my case and have therefore subsequently had the TV replaced.

They have escalated this for me and said that the will contact me tomorrow about whether I can claim any compensation.

Just out of interest do you have your TV wall mounted?

Cheers.

View solution in original post

20 REPLIES 20
profile.country.GB.title
Risc0n
Contributor

Got any pics?

profile.country.GB.title
YorkieCampo

Its quite difficult to capture on photo but here is one that I sent to Sony...

It's just above my head and the second one is to the right of it.

IMG_0034.JPG

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi there

Its interesting that you say that there is no distortion in the picture.  I can see where you are referring to.  I would have though there would be a little 'warping'.

Its the first ive seen (or heard) of this problem anyhow

Cheers

profile.country.GB.title
YorkieCampo

Cheers for the reply.

I find it odd that there is no distortion or warping to the picture.  Plus when you look at the panel side on it appears to be perfect so not really sure which layer of the panel the dimple resides on.

I have logged it with Sony now anyway and subitted the above picture along with a short video capturing the distortion.

I should hear back from them tomorrow morning so let's see what they say.

Cheers

profile.country.GB.title
Risc0n
Contributor

Wow, that looks horrid. I would be sending it back straight away, not acceptable for a £3500 TV imo.

Found a video, is this what you are referring to?

Also thread on reddit https://www.reddit.com/r/Bestbuy/comments/6bhvgj/sony_oled_screen_warping/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fk6YUqtVOKU

profile.country.GB.title
YorkieCampo

Cheers for the links, and yes, it seems like the same thing.

People seem to be attributing it to heat though but I noticed my panels warps before I'd even powered it on for the first time.

Must admit that it is kind of making me want to return it and go for the Panasonic instead.

I'll see what Sony say tomorrow and take it from there.

profile.country.GB.title
janholv
Explorer

Hi, I have exactly the same problem with a KD55A1 purchased in Belgium this week.

Any news from Sony on this? I just contacted Sony Belgium about this but haven't got a reply yet.

I'm definitely going for a replacement but want to make sure the new one doesn't suffer from the same flaw. Otherwise money back...

profile.country.GB.title
YorkieCampo

Hi,

I must admit that I couldn't believe that I'd be the only person who's had this issue, given that I've had 2 TVs now with similar issues, so it's good in a way to hear of someone else with the same issue.

Was your packaging damaged at all when your TV turned up? My first box was missing one of its white clips to hold the main box to the base and also the polystyrene packaging along the top of the box was snapped about a third of the way along. My replacement TV also had the polystyrene snap at exactly the same point.

Sony came back to me within a couple of days basically acknowledging that the warping was not a characteristic and had been caused by some kind of damage, but were unwilling to say anymore on the subject.

I have been back in contact with John Lewis, where I purchased the TV from, and they have taken delivery of a new batch of TVs therefore I'm going to contact them this afternoon to arrange delivery of another replacement so let's see how that goes.

If I were you I'd be contacting the company you bought the TV from and requesting a replacement or your money back.

If this third TV also has the issue I really don't know what to do as I'm really impressed with the picture quality and feel that chosing a replacement from another manufacturer would be a step down.....

Cheers.

profile.country.GB.title
janholv
Explorer

Hi,

No, the packaging didn't seem damaged (I had it delivered and installed, so it's hard to be sure).
I'm getting it replaced and will let you know how things go...

thx,