Join now - be part of our community!

Standby Power

SOLVED
profile.country.GB.title
Witham23
Explorer

Standby Power

Had my Sony Bravia XE80 now for a week. A great TV but I have the read forum discussions relating the standby power issues. So why not just switch off mains power to the adaptor brick overnight thereby shutting TV down completely, so saving at least 135 watts total.  Would this do any damage ?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
profile.country.AT.title
Kuschelmonschter
Hero

And to the question as to why not unplugging the power:

- scheduled recordings not working anymore

- no guide update in standby

- mobile apps and Chromecast can't wake the TV

- long boot times (>1 minute until system is usable)

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
profile.country.GB.title
Mooly01
Contributor

It shouldn't do any damage but I would also argue that doing this should not be necessary. Have you tried disconnecting the power for a few minutes and then switching on again ? You may find the TV goes into a 'soft reboot' mode, which is nothing to worry over except that it makes the initial start up time very slow.

I wouldn't like to say what the final power consumption is in standby, only to say that I would expect it to fall to a very low level after a relatively short time as the set goes into what are effectively deeper sleep modes.

Even if the set did use 135 watts over say 12 hours then the cost still isn't all that high in the scheme of things. 135 watts per night (12 hours) would be almost 50,000 watts per year. At £0.17 pence per kWh that would be £8.50 per year. In practice it should be a lot less.      

profile.country.AT.title
Kuschelmonschter
Hero

It is not so much about costs, but about longevity and privacy concerns. My TV weaks up every 5 Minutes. There is for sure some weak part which does not like it too much.

The TV is woken by RTC timers even after a factory reset. So it is not a 3rd party app that is doing this.

Sony is neither taking privacy seriously (Samba is still contacting its servers after opting out) nor security (sometimes being months behind concerning Android Security Bulletins). Also wake-ups have something to do with phoning home, as they are dramatically reduced after unplugging LAN cable and disabling Wi-Fi.

profile.country.AT.title
Kuschelmonschter
Hero

And to the question as to why not unplugging the power:

- scheduled recordings not working anymore

- no guide update in standby

- mobile apps and Chromecast can't wake the TV

- long boot times (>1 minute until system is usable)

profile.country.GB.title
Jecht_Sin
Enthusiast

@Witham23 I assume you calculated something like 17W/h * 8h. So basically your TV never goes in soft or deep sleep. We have found out that disabling "Remote Start" should fix it. But you won't be able to wake up the TV via Chromecast or any reemote control app in the mobile like the Sony's Video & TV SideView.

profile.country.GB.title
Witham23
Explorer

Thanks Mooly01, as you say the cost shouldn't be an issue as running cost saving over my old Panny plasma is considerable. Also checked on meter this morning and it showed 0watt so thats Sonys 0.5watt Standby Power figure, which follows as said by you that it has gone into a deep sleep mode. First time this has happened. 

profile.country.GB.title
Witham23
Explorer

I think also there maybe longevity problems, especially of the power adaptor after ready other forum entries regarding concerns. This item is easily replaced. Thnk You.

profile.country.GB.title
Witham23
Explorer

Will set Remote Start as disabled. Thanks

pamelanicola
Explorer

My problem with my Sony television 18 months old is when I adjust the standby nothing happens I go into eco, never and tick the box but as soon as I switch on hey presto the message displays “ your set will go into stand by if left idle “ .......it’s quite a nuisance