Join now - be part of our community!

Android Recurring Reboot - Sony KD-49X8309C

profile.country.GB.title
nedders
Explorer

Android Recurring Reboot - Sony KD-49X8309C

So for some inexplicable reason, my utterly buggy Sony TV has gone into an endless reboot loop. No specific update I was aware of, just came home to find it rebooting repeatedly. Sony Support about as useful as a chocolate toilet, and the factory resets just won't work no matter how many times I try. Sony's stock line is "out of warranty, book a repair", which is disgusting given it's THEIR fault from THEIR faulty OS "upgrade". Does anyone have any answer to this? Or is this one of those Windows10/Old Laptop situations, where nobody takes the responsibility, and I'm £800 out of pocket buying a new (not Sony) TV?

23 REPLIES 23
profile.country.GB.title
Vanilla_
Contributor

Hi,

I understand this could be very annoying. But I wouldn't suggest that you purchase spare parts like mother boards for the TV to avoid more damage. It'd be better to have it inspected by Sony engineers so they can guarantee the service: https://locator.sony/en_GB/servicecenters/?zoom=5&latitude=54.29088&longitude=-2.37305

Regards,

Vanilla_

profile.country.GB.title
elmout

Hi,

Thanks for the advice. However,

- Doing more damage on a dead TV is definitely a risk I'm willing to take

- It would suit me to bring the TV to a service center if the repair cost was beared by Sony (yes, I consider that a bugged update is the responsibility of Sony, not mine)

- Following the previous point, I don't need guarantee on the service when I can buy a new one for the repair price of this one with one year warranty

profile.country.GB.title
Sean2093

Yeah and they know it but won’t help no one out.ive phoned 4 times same old story.had to put phone down because I was losing it with the guy on the other end 

profile.country.GB.title
Vanilla_
Contributor

Hi again,

Well, if the cost is close to the cost of a new set, I'd also suggest that you purchase a new TV instead of repairing the current one.

Vanilla_

profile.country.GB.title
jgn88n

Irrespective.. the tv should last, Sony should accept their to blame.

profile.country.GB.title
elmout

Well, yes obviously, I have never considered to pay Sony repair center for this anyway. Better buying a bottom price TV then, I am sure it will last at least 3 years!

Japanese spirit has disappeared, I feel like I bought an Apple product.

thomsob
Explorer

Hello

Thanks for the post, I'm having the same issue.  My device reboots constantly, so I am unable to access the home screen to do a firmware update -perhaps this will help.

This is my mum's TV and a couple of weeks ago I noticed that it wasn't enabled for auto-update, so I turned it on.  She recently did some decorating and unplugged the TV, after turning it on, the picture would come on for a few mins and then switch off.  After following these instructions (https://www.sony.co.uk/electronics/support/televisions-projectors-lcd-tvs-android-/kd-49x8309c/artic...) . I now have a bricked TV that doesn't display the home page.

Is this a similar experience to you?

profile.country.GB.title
elmout

Hi

Yes my TV does exactly what is described in the scenario A.

Who would have thought turning on auto-update will kill it.... 

profile.country.GB.title
jgn88n

keep up your complaints.. Sony must accept fault soon enough

profile.country.GB.title
stemars13
Explorer

Stop this disgusting speech. Before insulting Sony, look what other brands are doing starting with Samsung which is a crap brand. And stop generalizing your case. My KD-49X8309C still works great. And as for "the horrible company" go see the side of Samsung, Microsoft Apple and Google before.
You're disgusting.