Join now - be part of our community!

4K streaming not available

profile.country.GB.title
Hifzur
New

4K streaming not available

Hi, can someone help me please I have the KDAF965 tv.. For some reason when I try purchase 4K movies via Google play or Rakuten TV, I am not getting the 4K option anymore where previously I have. The max resolution is HD. I have contacted Sony and they have replied it's not their fault but the apps.. Its ironic that both dont offer the option at the same time. Is anyone else having this problem or can you help please with some trouble shooting ideas. I have reset TV but hasn't made a difference. Thank in advance 

Tags (1)
13 REPLIES 13
profile.country.GB.title
royabrown2
Hero

@Hifzur 

Can you please check that model number?

I can’t find it on the web, and nor can I figure what it was meant to be ☹️

My favourite bedtime reading is a Sony product manual…
profile.country.GB.title
Hifzur
New

Hi Apologies 

It's the Sony Master Series Sony KD-65AF9. I hope that helps. 

profile.country.GB.title
royabrown2
Hero

@Hifzur 

Thanks, yes it does. Hard to better that set in the Sony range, I think.

What happens if you go back to those sites and look at movies you successfully bought previously in 4K?

Does it no longer offer you the 4K option, or what?

Can you list one or two of the movies where you are expecting a 4K version, but not being offered it?

I can look those up on my 4K Samsung, and see what that says.

My favourite bedtime reading is a Sony product manual…
profile.country.GB.title
Hifzur
New

So after contacting Sony who were no help. I emailed Rakutan TV and they have advised even though I spent £4000 on my Sony. My TV wasnt compatabile with their streaming services. Only Sony TV models from 2019 and not my TV which is 2018 Model. So my TV is one model down from Sony Newest Master Serious OLED Range and it's already outdated. Very frustrating, Not sure who to blame here Sony or Rakutan. With Google play I have to change settings to HDR and in UK Google play 4K is non existence I learnt, only a handful. I am just going to stick with my Sony 4K Blu Ray player, you will always get a better picture quality direct from disc over streaming. 

profile.country.GB.title
Tonycv51
Contributor

Google play movies does work in 4k but seems to only have a small selection available. 

Rakuten not sure why it's not available but it is on the Sony UHD blu rays so I watch it through that.

As an alternative the roku 4k stick is only £29 at the moment (note wifi only) which has all the services - rakuten, play movies, Netflix, prime, apple, and now tv.  Note its fussy that it has to be connected to a high speed hdmi port for some of the apps to work in 4k (apart from now tv in glorious 720p)

profile.country.GB.title
Hifzur
New

Rakutan is available on my TV  but you cant purchase 4K material. I also have Sony UHD blu ray player which again has Rakutan but not the 4K purchase options. Thank you for the tip with the stick.. I'll just continue buying 4K UHD blue Ray's or from Amazon prime.

profile.country.GB.title
Tonycv51
Contributor

I would blame the app owners tbh. 

I can't get rakuten on my xf9005, but on an older Samsung it has 4k boasts all over the app and displays Hdr and 5.1 tags on the film listing, but on the roku 4k it doesn't have any of that.  Films are inconsistent eg Rocketman appears to play in 4k but not Hdr, and only in stereo, others play in 5.1. 

However on google play movies it's the other way round. The sony tv and roku work perfectly on 4k titles, but the app on the Samsung doesn't see the purchased films as 4k.  YouTube on the Samsung is the same,  plays free 4k content in Hdr, but plays library purchase  4k films as 1080

This also doesn't work on my KD55AG8, unfortunately.

profile.country.GB.title
HannahEd01
Community Team

Hi guys, after a quick research, it seems that the app providers control what you get from the app not Sony, hence, you can play free 4K movies on YouTube. Hopefully that changes in the future.

HannahEd01