Join now - be part of our community!

problems with installing apps from Google store on TV

profile.country.GB.title
zhabotinsky
Explorer

problems with installing apps from Google store on TV

The TV is KD-55AG9. I want to install an app (Eon TV) from Google store. I keep getting the message "insufficient storage". Available space in "Internal shared storage" is 391 MB. There is also another 469 MB available on a USB stick, which as formatted (by the TV) after it had been inserted into the TV. It's an old stick, used before, but all files had been erased before it was inserted. The app size is 16.05 MB (so, a lot less than the size of available space). 

I also followed step by step instructions found on this web site to try to move few apps onto the USB stick and free up more internal shared storage. The first problem that I encountered is that the step-by step guide on how to move the downloaded apps does not exactly correspond to how my TV works (in other words, this guide is not written for my TV model). The guide consist of 11 steps. I did manage to go through 9. The 10th step says "Select the app that you want to move to the USB storage device." After I select that app from the list of apps that are stored internally, I cannot proceed to the last 11th step. The last step says: "Select the USB storage device from the used storage." The problem is that I do not get that option after I select the app that I wanted to move in the previous step. I tried pressing the circular center button on the remote and I also tried few other buttons, but nothing worked. I simply cannot get this option. 

Any ideas what's going on? Is there another way of getting some help from Sony? Or at least getting the manual written for KD-55AG9? Should I use a new USB stick?

I had this problem with "insufficient storage" about year and half ago when I tried to install MUBI. I remember trying do do this few times and every time getting the message "insufficient storage". I had basically given up, but then tried after another week or so and it worked. The bizarre thing is that I did not do anything else with the (lack of) storage. This time, however, I deleted few apps (e.g., Rakuten TV) to make more space available, but that did not help. Could it be that the firmware cannot estimate correctly the size of free storage space? 

Thanks! 

6 REPLIES 6
profile.country.GB.title
Eskimosony

Great TV, I have the same and I love it.

Take your USB stick out and install it to the TV internal storage.

Other than that is the USB stick formatted properly? The TV can format it for you if not. I would be tempted to do that...

Lastly are all your Apps up to date? 5here was an update of the Webview app 2 days ago, this is needed for everything on Android and causes most of the problems.

Go to Google Play Store, your Avatar (top right) Managed Installed Apps and Update all...

Hopefully that will have sorted it.👍

If so please mark as Solution and give me some Kudos.

P.S: I'm just installed it straight away on my TV so it works.

profile.country.GB.title
zhabotinsky
Explorer

Thank you. I've managed to get to the right manual on Sony's web site and I've tried to follow your advice, but I still have the same problem. Please note that the TV formatted the USB stick and that the TV's firmware is up to date. When the USB stick is inserted into the TV, I do not get the option "format it as an internal storage device", which I should get according to the manual. I get two options: "eject" and "erase and format as removable storage". I choose the second option, but then the internal storage capacity does not increase and the USB gets listed as Removable Storage (not as Internal Storage). After doing this, I simply cannot progress to the next step, which is selecting an app that I want to move to the USB stick and moving it there. Because of the lack of internal storage capacity, I cannot update the downloaded apps, which is what you also suggested. When I try to update them, I keep getting the message "insufficient storage".
Thanks again!

Tags (1)
profile.country.GB.title
Eskimosony

Hi, have you got another USB stick to try? Also a reputable company, like SanDisk..?

It sounds like a cheap USB stick...but I am bothered why it won't install internally...

I read that you could try and install the app from you USB stick onto the TV.

So download the app using your phone or PC if you are savvy enough then install using a file manager on the Sony TV.

profile.country.GB.title
HannahEd01
Community Team

Hey zhabotinsky, My recommendation would be to contact Sony directly.

profile.country.GB.title
zhabotinsky
Explorer

Thank you. I've tried a new stick. It didn't help. I have contacted Sony. 

profile.country.GB.title
HannahEd01
Community Team

Hi zhabotinsky, do let us know how it goes please.