Join now - be part of our community!

XZ1 Backup error and processing time

AndrewJamesGrif
Visitor

XZ1 Backup error and processing time

Hi,

I am new to the Sony forums so apologies if I inadvertently break any conventions.  I have searched for similar issues to mine but not been successful.

My XZ1 has not been backed up for some time through Xperia Companion.  Recently I tried to back it up and after several hours (!) of Companion processing the backup it returns an unspecified error.  I have tried backing up everything in one go, and backing up individual categories (some work, but Others, Contacts and Messages all failed for example).  Is there any way to get more details about where the exact issue is - a log file or similar?  Or is this a known issue?  I get the following message but my phone is pre-2019:

"Important notice

On Xperia smartphones released from 2019 onwards, you cannot use Xperia Companion to restore your content. Please use this solution to back up and restore your content."

All I get now is variations on:

Xperia Companion - Backup error - 19-02-20.png

My phone has the latest software updates, and I've restarted both Xperia Companion (and my laptop) and my XZ1 many times without any change in this error.

I have backed up my SMS using SMSBackup+ (with a workaround since Google changed their API) without issue and have been doing this for some time (and this hasnt previously upset Companion backup).  I have also been able to back up using the manual backup to my Google account recently without an issue.  I'm not sure where to go from here to get my backup working, without doing a software repair on my handset?

Any advice or help appreciated.  Given that it takes a number of hours to process and fail the backup, I'm loathe to keep tweaking things and rerun the backup.  It never used to take anywhere near that long - is that long processing time indicative of what the problem might be?

Thanks,

Andrew.

Tags (3)
0 REPLIES 0