Who Me Too'd this topic

profile.country.GB.title
cgiserban
Explorer

Advice In Case Your Latest A7* Firmware Fails

Hey,

Not really a question, but rather a post I wanted to make in order to help eventual issues with firmware updates. It might be a bit lengthy, so please bare with me!

I updated my A7IV from Firmware 1.11->2.0 after formatting my card (IN CAMERA, please keep this in mind for later). I have encountered an issue where the camera red light blinks 5 times slowly and 6 times quickly through the middle of the update after about 10-15 minutes. Afterwards, the camera won't turn on/off (blinking would still keep going regardless of the switch). 

I was almost sure my camera bricked since placing the battery/mem card out and back in wouldn't change anything, and started to look up for support on forums. Nothing really solved my issue so I was about to create a support request, until I gave a go to the idea of adding the previous firmware to a (PC) formatted card. That didn't do much except it changed the pattern of my blinking (7 slow, 7 quick). Adding the version that I had on the camera prior to the update, would make it 5 slow, 7 quick. 

Based on that I figured that the camera is either not recognizing the card, or noticing the version mismatch. Finally, I just re-added the initially broken firmware to the (now PC formatted, not camera) card, and that fixed my issue! The camera would behave similarly to the previous firmware from 1.05->1.11.

I am not sure why the firmware on the card wouldn't update properly using the guide on the official website, but this was something that scared me, so if it happens to you, give it a go! 

Hope you have a happy day:) ! 

Who Me Too'd this topic