Join now - be part of our community!

VAIO NS30E CPU Upgrade?

SOLVED
profile.country.en_GB.title
MurdoD
Visitor

VAIO NS30E CPU Upgrade?

I have the NS30E/W ( http://www.sony.co.uk/support/en/product/VGN-NS30E_W/ )

The laptop has a Pentium(R) Dual-Core CPU T4200 @ 2.00GHz, Socket P (478).

I was wondering if anyone knew if the motherboard in this model would support a slightly faster CPU.. say an Intel Mobile Core 2 Duo T7500 / T7600 / T7700 or T7800 ?

I could of course open it up and give another CPU a go, but though i'd check and see if anyone had tried it. Seeing as the FSB is 800 for both cpu's, the only difference I can spot is the multiplier and of course the tech (upgrade cpu being 65nm and current one being 45nm..)

The only two issues I can see would be cooling (potentially) and of course if the BIOS in the NS30E would support a Core 2 Duo Model as apposed to a standard Dual-Core Model.

Any tips / advice would be appreciated.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

It does not look like anyone has tried it, so we don't know if the motherboard or BIOS support C2D processors.

I think the reason nobody has tried it is that the benefits are only small and it is simply not cost effective to upgrade.

:thinking:

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
profile.country.en_GB.title
MurdoD
Visitor

Well that's a week now and no response, so i'm gonna go with it can't be done?

profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

It does not look like anyone has tried it, so we don't know if the motherboard or BIOS support C2D processors.

I think the reason nobody has tried it is that the benefits are only small and it is simply not cost effective to upgrade.

:thinking: