Join now - be part of our community!

red screen

SOLVED
profile.country.en_GB.title
nealec
Visitor

red screen

i have a pcg8112m laptop that has suddenly got a red flicker to the screen has anybody got any ideas how to repair if possible

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

Unfortunately, it could be many things but flickering with inverted colours would seem to point at a poor electrical contact somewhere in the graphics circuitry.

Try connecting an external monitor to the VGA port.  Is the flickering present on the external screen?

If the external screen does not show the problem and works normally, then you need to have the wiring and the connectors checked between the motherboard and the screen.  If these are OK, you need to look at the screen itself.  We have seen a few screen faults on these large 17" HD panels.

If the external screen shows the same problem as the screen, then the problem is more serious and could be a motherboard fault or, more likely, a nVidia graphics chip soldering failure.  We have seen a number of nVidia problems on the later VGN-AR Series Vaios.

By the way, you are quoting an invalid Vaio model.  I would guess you are using the Chassis model number which is shared by several models.  Look on the screen surround for the correct model - something like VGN-AR61M: -

VAIO Model.png

Let's hope it is a wiring problem!!!

:thinking:

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

Unfortunately, it could be many things but flickering with inverted colours would seem to point at a poor electrical contact somewhere in the graphics circuitry.

Try connecting an external monitor to the VGA port.  Is the flickering present on the external screen?

If the external screen does not show the problem and works normally, then you need to have the wiring and the connectors checked between the motherboard and the screen.  If these are OK, you need to look at the screen itself.  We have seen a few screen faults on these large 17" HD panels.

If the external screen shows the same problem as the screen, then the problem is more serious and could be a motherboard fault or, more likely, a nVidia graphics chip soldering failure.  We have seen a number of nVidia problems on the later VGN-AR Series Vaios.

By the way, you are quoting an invalid Vaio model.  I would guess you are using the Chassis model number which is shared by several models.  Look on the screen surround for the correct model - something like VGN-AR61M: -

VAIO Model.png

Let's hope it is a wiring problem!!!

:thinking:

profile.country.en_GB.title
nealec
Visitor

hi there just found model number its vgn-ar71m i will try your suggestions and see how i get on thank you for your advice its very much appreciate hope you have a very happy christmas