Join now - be part of our community!

how do I connect docking station to z series laptop?

SOLVED
profile.country.en_GB.title
kaarnol62
New

how do I connect docking station to z series laptop?

HI

I have a Vaio Z series I bought about a year ago and decided it could do with more oomph so bought a docking station for it but I can't see where the cables plug in - I tried contacting live chat but was told (after 2 hours) that as I wasn't in the USA they can't help me - here in the UK there is no email address or online support so I have no idea where to go to get help with this = I can't phone as I'm deaf

Any help please

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

I think the VGPPRZ20A is only compatible with the new, smaller VPCZ21 series Vaios released for sale late Summer this year - the ones without an optical disc drive.

The Docking Station connects to BOTH the DC-In Jack and the USB 3.0 port with a single connector: -

The previous model VPCZ13 Series and older Z-Series models are not compatible with the VGPPRZ20 because they do not have a USB 3.0 port and the DC-IN Power socket is in the hinge and nowhere near the USB ports.

Sorry!

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

Exactly which Z-Series model do you have and what model Docking Station have you bought?

Assuming you have bought the dedicated Port Replicator, it does not connect with wires - it plugs into the bottom of the Vaio.  You need to remove the connector cover first.

Have a look at this manual - it probably is not for your model but the connection should be the same.  Pages 106 to 112 here: -

ftp://ftp.vaio-link.com/pub/manuals/Notebooks/VPCZ13/Z13_H_EN.pdf

PRZ1.jpg

PRZ2.jpg

:wink:

kaarnol62
New

Thanks but it doesn't look anything like that.  I have a Vaio PCG-31111M and the docking station is a VGP-PRZ20A which I was told is compatible and I can't see how on earth I'm supposed to plug the cables in.

profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

Hi kaarnol62,

There is precious little information out there on the VGP-PRZ20A. The Australian site has this:

“Easy to connect and disconnect thanks to single high-speed optical link”

The photos suggest that the optical connection is next to the power input.

http://www.sony.com.au/product/vgp-prz20a

Hope this helps.

Rich

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat
kaarnol62
New

so why do Sony say this is the docking station for the Z series - why not say - OH we've completely changed it in later models - problem is packaging says once you've opened it you can't return it - so that's  £360+ down the toilet - feel like I've been robbed - suppose next step is to go to Trading Standards and see if they can do anything

Thanks for trying to help

profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

I think the VGPPRZ20A is only compatible with the new, smaller VPCZ21 series Vaios released for sale late Summer this year - the ones without an optical disc drive.

The Docking Station connects to BOTH the DC-In Jack and the USB 3.0 port with a single connector: -

The previous model VPCZ13 Series and older Z-Series models are not compatible with the VGPPRZ20 because they do not have a USB 3.0 port and the DC-IN Power socket is in the hinge and nowhere near the USB ports.

Sorry!