Join now - be part of our community!

Hard disk fails second time

profile.country.en_GB.title
eurisko2000
Visitor

Hard disk fails second time

I've had one repair for the Vaio laptop and a couple of weeks over a year since the repair was done the hard disk has failed again.

The only recovery method for this device is the hidden recovery partition, which I can't access.

I now go on to contact support and they want 35p a minute to contact them for a device that has failed twice in 18 months.

How do I get recovery disks (since you cannot create them) for this second failed disk.

I refuse to line a company's pockets due to their rubbish product on a chargeable phone line and I certainly don't have time (at Christmas) to post them a letter.

This is terrible customer service and I will never ever buy a Sony Vaio again.  The machine is not robust and they don't provide recovery media to alleviate calling them.

So, someone at Sony, take note and contact me to let me know what you're going to do about it.  I don't mind replacing the HD since I am not incompetent but I want the disks for the Windows 7 licence that I have already paid for.

Now to find your facebook and twitter sites to post this on.

2 REPLIES 2
profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

Sorry to hear your problems.

This is a User Forum where users like you and me offer each other advice and discuss their products.  Consequently, you will not get any reply from Sony to your post here as this is not an official support channel.

Unfortunately, as your Vaio is out of warranty, free support is no longer available and the only way to contact Sony Support is via the premium rate phone line.

Sony will also charge for replacement Recovery Discs.  They justify this as they provide recovery software in a hidden partition on the hard drive and also recommend, remind and provide a utility for all new owners to create a set of recovery discs from this partition as a safeguard in the event of a hard drive failure.  This usually requires 3 blank DVDs and you can make as many sets as you wish at any time - except of course after the drive has failed.  You don't say which model you have but new owners are advised to do this as their first act.

Many of us here have sympathy with you as most of us would prefer to receive a set of recovery discs rather than have to burn them ourselves but I fear we have lost this battle with Sony.  I am sorry to be the bearer of bad tidings but hopefully this will give you a clearer way forward.

Sadly we tend to forget that hard drives do fail as they are sensitive to physical vibration and shock.  The need to make backups has not become less with time.

:thinking:

profile.country.en_GB.title
Rhodiemike
Visitor

Dear Eurisko, I'm also sorry to learn of your experience. In such circumstances in the past I have used the weight of the "Sale of Goods Act, 1979" to assist me in dealing with uncooperative shops/ distributors / manufacturers. Sony sell their technology as a "preemium product" - as such it must perform suitably. The SOGA states that product must be of "satisfactory quality". The public do not appreciate that this gives them some protection against failure for up to 6 years in England, Wales & N. Ireland (5 years in Scotland). I would suggest that your Vaio fails this test of quality / reliability so the seller is in breach of contract if the item is less old than the periods stated. You may have to bear some cost, or repair (on sliding scale) for "wear and tear". Its always worth discussing this with the Trading Standards. The threat of a summons in the Small Claims Court (the ultimate sanction) puts the fear of God into reluctant parties. Some examples: My microwave cooker failed after 3 years; shop said "sorry, no can do". I responded as above - they phoned Head Office for advice - I received new replacement. My German car developed fault on Stability Programme 1 tear out of wattenty - repair cost £1580!. I told dealer / manufacturer customer service to "go to hell and do not pass go, this is a generic fault as notified on forums - not up to acceptable quality ... I expect a part not subject to wear and tear to last lifetime of car...see you in Court, by the way all telephone conversations I've shared with you and your staff have been recorded". Result: free repair, manufacturer bore total cost. Fight your corner, my friend. Use SOGA, forums, clubs and associations as your leverage. Tell reluctant suppliers that you will "Foul Mouth" (American term) them at every opportunity and hit their sales, and to "Have a Nice Day!" Also deal directly with senior management (find names from receptionist when you call), take their names, take notes, be reasonable, be firm / controlled but not abrasive but lay out your case and explain what they have to lose. Also tape record the conversation ("in the Public interest") if possible, but do not let on until you reach impass - you will be amazed at how people fail to deliver promises / be evasive / pass the buck / deny the Law. They will do anything to avoid that being made public, especially now sales are difficult. Your case may result in me not purchasing Sony Tablet in favour of iPad - see what I mean; they're already 500 quid down and counting. Good Luck.