Join now - be part of our community!

Graphics output via HDMI under Windows 7 on VGN-AR61M

profile.country.en_GB.title
booller
Visitor

Graphics output via HDMI under Windows 7 on VGN-AR61M

I bouught a Sony VGN-AR61M running Windows Vista.Preinstalled was a graphics driver that allowed me to connnect my laptop to a Sony Bravia TV via HDMI. When connected I used VLC media player to play video through my Sony HD TV. This worked consistently and with reasonable video quality.

I changed OS to Windows 7 64 bit version via a clean install. Now my laptop does NOT recognise the Sony Bravia TV when connected with an HDMI cable. Device Manager shows that the installed graphic adapter is a Standard VGA adapter. It does not mention that the laptop has a NVIDIA GeForce 8400M GT GPU.

Anyone understand what has happened and how to get my laptop to connect to my TV via HDMI please?

5 REPLIES 5
profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

It sounds like you have no compatable graphics driver installed.

Which 64-bit nVidia Graphics Driver did you install from when you upgraded to Windows 7?

:thinking:

booller
Visitor

Thank you for response. To answer your question...........I let the Windows 7 install "do its own thing".  It was only when I tried to connect to the TV that I thought I might have a driver problem. I tried downloading a WHQL version of a Nvidia Win7 64 bit driver but it could not install. It stated that "it could not find compatible hardware". I then thought that I needed a "newer" graphics card and I started thinking about that. I do not wish to junk my laptop but I do not want to go back to Windows XP to get HDMI output connectivity.

booller
Visitor

I have cured the problem by eventually sourcing some modifications that were needed to the .INF file that came with the WHQL package of Nvidia Win 7 64-bit driver.  I edited the .INF file and did another install which was successful. Device Manager now shows the Nvidia driver as the Graphics driver and not VGA. The laptop recognised the TV as a second monitor the moment the laptop was connected via HDMI.

jjwhite88
New

Hi, just found this post and it is pretty much the exact same thing that has happened to me on a vgn-aw31m. Please could you show a step-by-step as to how you solved this?

Thanks in advance

booller
Visitor