Join now - be part of our community!

Connecting Bravia KDL-32W5810 to the Internet

profile.country.en_GB.title
dajones7263
New

Connecting Bravia KDL-32W5810 to the Internet

Please can anyone advise how to connect a Bravia TV KDL-32W5810 to the internet using an ethernet cable.  My computer uses a Technicolor TG582 router with 4 ethernet ports.  Thanks  David G

5 REPLIES 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi there

What you need to do, is plug an ethernet cable from your router to your TV, then go into Settings and Network Settings and setup your network that way.

I have found the manual on how to do this, in the link below (as it explains everything that I would just type anyhow)

http://pdf.crse.com/manuals/ADJ5100121.pdf

Can I point you to page 54, 61 and 62 in particular.

Hope that helps you

dajones7263
New

Thank you Quinnicus for your interest.  I had stumbled on the manual and followed its instructions.  Unfortunately, it doesn't seem to work consistently.  In general, the server comes up as TG582 although on one occasion, there were two servers - TG582 and the DLNA server Windows Media PLayer 11 (for XP).  The latter allows the contents of WMP to be played via the Music icon.

There may be some relationship between the Network Settings and the order in which the ethernet connections are made and how they are started.  At present, the network is being made by running an ethernet cable from ethernet connection No 2 on the TG582 router to the KDL-32W5810 in addition to the PC on ethernet port No1.  This is a temporary approach which has to be disconnected after a test (owing to the cable route) and is intended to check networking the TV before purchasing two HomePlug units.  Before each test session Factory Settings are restored to remove existing network settings and get a clean start.

Perhaps the KDL-32W5810 is not as clever as later models in automatically setting up network connections.

Thanks again

David

Catmambo
Contributor

For what its worth, it might be worth looking at a new Blu-ray player as they are all conncted, most have integrated wi-fi as well as Ethernet along with DLNA support and apps like iPlayer. They are much easier to get online and a fraction of the price of replacing the TV.

e.g. http://www.sony.co.uk/product/blu-ray-disc-player/bdp-s1100

Thanks

Anonymous
Not applicable

Further to what Catmambo has said above. I guess the next prudent question needs to be asked is - What do you intend to do with your TV once connected to your network?

1 - If the answer is streaming media from your PC, I would suggest installing Homestream onto your PC (at least for a test, to see if it meets your requirements.)

http://www.sony.co.uk/homestream

2 - If the answer is for iPlayer/YouTube etc etc, I would go with Catmambo's suggestion above.

dajones7263
New

Thank you Quinnicus and Catmambo for advice

Homestream has been installed and the wired network is now streaming  items from the PC including selected music from Windows Media Player 11.

It would be useful to have access to iplayer but having purchased a Sony DVP-NS728H, upscaling DVD player with USB, about two years ago, I am a little reluctant to discard it in favour of a Blu-ray player at this point in time.  Nevertheless, Catmambo's suggestion is very useful advice to keep in mind

Many thanks again to both of you for your interest and help.

David G