Join now - be part of our community!

I'm trying to catch arrow in flight

profile.country.GB.title
JTR_Rhyl

I'm trying to catch arrow in flight

Any one know a software that will import 1,000 fps and keep all the frames, Adobe Premiere Elements 12 drags the video in at 50 fps, deleting some frames, so when you try to slow motion it to 5 fps its jurks.  As the title states I want to video a arrow in flight or on the lines of a golf swing. on the lines of this video at 40seconds https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X_r2-FuIWzQ

13 REPLIES 13
profile.country.DE.title
IamNic
Expert

Hi @JTR_Rhyl,

I don't understand your problem - the 1000fps video get's encoded as a 50fps playback video (so if you shoot 1000fps for one second, it gets encoded as a 20 second video with 50fps).

If you slow this video down to 5fps playback it will stutter, since humans can't perceive anything below 16fps as "motion".

I recommend to not slow the video down further than 25fps as playback speed.

This video was shot as 1000fps for as long as the camera could buffer it (nearly 4 seconds) and slowed down to 25fps playback (after importing the 50fps video into my editing software).

- Nic

profile.country.GB.title
JTR_Rhyl

I have videos with 120fps at the moment, if I put them into Adobe Premiere Elements 12 it makes the same length of video I shoot.   2 minutes of 120 fps goes onto the time line as 2 minutes Adobe cuts frames out (I belive) hence the , to make a slowmotion video I thought it would be as you said longer.

If I use the slow motion tag in Adobe to make it 4minutes its jerky, not soft flowing ( much like using slow motion on a DVD play back)

There must be a video software that can import high frame rate at what ever you video it at someware.

profile.country.DE.title
IamNic
Expert

Hi @JTR_Rhyl,

if you set the framerate to 120fps, you only have 120fps and can only make your playback a fifth of the original speed.

At these settings you don't make use of the HFR-Mode (1000fps mode).

Which camera do you use? Maybe I can walk you trough on how to use the 1000fps mode.

- Nic

profile.country.GB.title
JTR_Rhyl

Its the Sony ax33 camcorder  its realey good videos quality, I'm thinking on the lines that its the Adobe software, not the camcorder.     But I could be wrong,  your help would be great.  

I thank you for the offer.

Pete

profile.country.DE.title
IamNic
Expert

Hi @JTR_Rhyl,

the FDR-AX33 camcorder does not support 1000fps mode.

- Nic

profile.country.GB.title
JTR_Rhyl

Not shore not to teckey, thought shutter speed on video was high speed. It has high speed record that goes up to 10,000, I thought that was FPS

profile.country.DE.title
IamNic
Expert

Hi @JTR_Rhyl,

the FDR AX33 can definetly not shoot at 10000fps, only dedicated slow motion cameras can do this and they need ultra fast storage mediums to store all the data generated.

My FDR AX700 can shoot 1000fps, yet only for a little over 3 seconds, before the ultra fast storage buffer inside the camera runs full, then the camera need about 2 minutes to "slowly" transfer said file to the SD-card.

Then I have a 50fps file without audio in this quality:

Note, that I still can slow it down to 25fps playback speed and make it twice as long and therefore half as fast (as I did here).

I don't really know the menu of the FDR AX33 well enough, since I only own the "bigger sister" of this camera, the FDR AX100 (as well as the new FDR AX700).

Maybe you could upload a photo of the cameras screen, to show me what menu option you are talking about so I can explain to you what it is about.

- Nic

profile.country.GB.title
JTR_Rhyl

This is a quick set up video of the screen.

profile.country.DE.title
IamNic
Expert

Hi @JTR_Rhyl,

did you set the video to "private"?

I can't watch it, it tells me "this video is not available".

- Nic