Noxispike
New

XBR-55X900E whole screen blinks/flashes black frame every 10-20 mins

Model: 

XBR-55X900E

Firmware:

PKG6.2676.0070NAA

Issue Description:

About every 10-20 minutes, the screen will black out for 1 frame. This behavior is most obvious/disturbing when watching content with bright color.

Video reference:

The video is captured using a 60 fps cellphone camera. Content is static kindle book.

Link to the video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UYfDfDx1W2s

While in the video, just pass the 1 second mark, only a black horizontal band at the center of the screen blinked/flashed (limitation of the 60fps camera), in real life, the whole screen goes black for about 1 frame. 

This issue appears when watching:

1. Content through any of the 4 HDMI inports, either 1080P or 4K inputs
  2. Content using built in app like Youtube
  3. In Standard, Game, or Graphics mode

None of the following attempts fixed the issue:

1. Factory reset
  2. Using the firmware came with the TV and *not* update
  3. Update the TV's firmware (currently on PKG6.2676.0070NAA)
  4. Use external UPS with built in voltage stabilizer
  5. Adjusting Picture Adjustment settings like Brightness, Motionflow, Local Dimming and others.
  6. Enabling Developer mode, toggling settings in Developer mode.

Attempted hardware repair/replacement:

TV was serviced once, main board replaced, but the issue was not resolved.

A replacement was sent, but it has the same problem.

At the current stage, with both TVs having the same issue, it's very likely to be caused by a software bug instead of a hardware defect. Of course, it also could be a hardware design flaw.

I'd like to cooperate with Sony engineer/developer if additional info is needed in order to have the issue resolved.

This is part of the screen captured using a smartphone camera set close to the TV while the TV is used for reading when the visual defect appeared. At around 1.5 second mark, a single black frame flashing is visible on the screen. While in the video (captured using a smartphone), only the middle ...
3 REPLIES 3
profile.country.GB.title
EdwinaU

Hi,

Thanks for joining the community.

We'd suggest you contact support for help with this issue. You can reach them here.

Best wishes,

EdwinaU

I am having this same issue...in addititon when the tv is off it will occasionally flash on for a second. I would like to keep it plugged in on standby but am afraid it will cause damage.

profile.country.GB.title
Ushay1403
New

I have the exact same issue on my Sony X900E in 49 inch size. No amount of upgrades it resets has fixed it, very very frustrating after shelling out so much for this set 

Did you ever manage to get this issue resolved? My symptoms are the same, a singular frame that appears black appearing infrequnetly, usually every 20 odd minutes.