Join now - be part of our community!

UKTV play on Sony Android TV

profile.country.GB.title
march83

UKTV play on Sony Android TV

I've got a 2015 Sony Android TV. Is it possible to get the UKTV player app? I thought it was part of Youview but it doesn't show in that section. 

20 REPLIES 20
tnymln
Explorer

If you have an android phone you can download the UKTV app and use the built in Chromecast support.

profile.country.GB.title
SonyTelly50
Explorer

profile.country.GB.title
stormyuk
Expert

That does not include UKTV Player unfortunately. They have never released a Android TV compatible version.
profile.country.GB.title
SonyTelly50
Explorer

Check again, the 6th APK file in the list 😉 

profile.country.GB.title
stormyuk
Expert

Yeh, it probably side loads the standard Android version, which is an absolute mare to use. If its your only option I guess its better than nothing. I have a Youview box so just use that. Thanks for the update though. I didn't realise it was Chromecast compatible either, good news.
profile.country.GB.title
Murph7355

With my Kodi option not working properly and low expectations of an official release that UKTV/Sony push for, I gave SonyTelly50's link a go...

Installed the APK (I used the X-Plore app from the Play Store - gives a file manager that can be connected to over your local network) et voila. It works!  :grin:

Usage is very smooth with the TV remote.  I get an app icon in the App tray that I can then place on my favourites.  So all good.

(I also installed Sideload Launcher, thinking this was necessary...but I don't believe it is).

Happy again :slight_smile:  Thanks SonyTelly50.

(I'm using a Sony AF9 on Android 8 btw)

profile.country.GB.title
stormyuk
Expert

Ahh good to know, thanks guys I will definitely check it out again. :slight_smile:
profile.country.GB.title
JIMMY-J1
Explorer

Thanks sonytelly50

That works a treat. I've even got an icon on the home screen. Many thanks

profile.country.GB.title
Bradwell77
Explorer

Again thanks for advice.

Know all about Chromecast - had dongle on my old non-smart (and now replaced!) TV for some time. Have long been casting iPad Mini 4, Android phones and tablets to it.

Just thought that when buying a 'state of the art' £700 2019 Sony Bravia it just might possibly have the UK TV Play App inbuilt to Freeview - without the need for plug-ins, add-ons or other devices. Only had the TV 24 hours and seems to me that Sony are just not quite 'up to speed' with Catch Up TV. Bush seem to be better at it.

Shame.

Seems Bus

profile.country.GB.title
stormyuk
Expert

Very much a case of caveat emptor I am afraid. I know its little comfort, I made a similar assumption back on 2017 when I got my first Sony Android TV, I assumed all Android apps would work.

For most though downloading a few files is not a massive hassle in the grand scheme of things. UKTV Play is very niche to be honest. If you have UKTV Play on your mobile, Chromecast should work without any effort whatsoever also, the TV supports it.

The Bush TV probably supports Freeview Play, for some reason Sony insist on sticking with Youview, and an old implementation of Youview at that even on the 2019 TVs. No idea why it was never updated.