Join now - be part of our community!

UKTV play on Sony Android TV

profile.country.GB.title
march83

UKTV play on Sony Android TV

I've got a 2015 Sony Android TV. Is it possible to get the UKTV player app? I thought it was part of Youview but it doesn't show in that section. 

20 REPLIES 20
profile.country.GB.title
Mick_D

Hi – can you give the exact model number of the TV?

Thanks

Mick

profile.country.GB.title
march83

Hi Mick,

Thanks for the reply. It's a KD-55X8005C.

Thanks.

Marc

profile.country.GB.title
royabrown
Enthusiast

The app is available on YouView boxes, but it is not provided by YouView on these TVs,

You need to look on the Google TV Play Store on the TV; if it is not there, then you are SOOL.

But if it is there, then the good news is you can have it even if you are on the Freeview UI, and not just the YouView one.

The result, whatever it is, will be the same for all 2015 Android sets, so I imagine the Mods must be having a lot of trouble with people misidentifying the year their set is from, or whether it is Android or not, to be asking for exact model numbers :upside_down:

YouView Superuser, but not an employee of YouView, nor retained by them for this purpose. It's purely me speaking
profile.country.GB.title
march83

Thanks for the information.

I checked the Play store and it's not listed but I've found the Kodi app and installed the UKTV addon for that. It's not perfect but it isn't too bad. 

profile.country.IE.title
Tech-AV
Explorer

Is it possible to load UKTV onto a Sony KDL49XE90, 2017 model?

Again it is not listed on Google play .

I have side loaded it via MX File Explorer but it freezes, guess it may not be compatible .

Can someone give me a yes or no on this.?

Appreciate any input

profile.country.GB.title
stormyuk
Expert

Unfortunately not, I have used this a lot recently on my Youview box and really miss it on the TV. There apparently is a work around using KODI and a UKTV Play plug-in but I have not tried this.

You'd have to ask UKTV to support the Sony TVs.

profile.country.IE.title
Tech-AV
Explorer

Thanks stormyuk for your input.

I have tried several addons on the Kodi app but with no success. They all seem to be discontinued and will not download the zip file. Does anyone have a UKTV Play link, for a Kodi addon that works.

Thanks Guys

profile.country.GB.title
JIMMY-J1
Explorer

I've been using uktv on my Sony Android for about one year by side loading using es explorer. You didn't get an icon on front page but went in settings to apps and open uktv. However a week ago uktv presented a button on their front screen to update to continue watching. When pressed you are presented with a front screen full of screenshots.but no way to move forward.l have tried earlier apk files to no avail. I contacted uktv who informed me that the app was not designed for smart TVs or TV boxes.However their app in playstore clearly states for TVs and TV boxes. My older Sony  TV is still running uktv through a firestick but don't for how long. Any solutions would be welcome.

profile.country.GB.title
stormyuk
Expert

Its a shame they don't just add full support on Android TVs.