Join now - be part of our community!

SONY OLED KD-55AF8 Image Retention and Burn In

profile.country.GB.title
Robbie-001
Explorer

SONY OLED KD-55AF8 Image Retention and Burn In

Sony Bravia OLED purchased in July 2018 now has faint signs of image retention/burn in for some reason. I am surprised that after such a short time that this could happen on these screens. I am  now acutely aware that is there and it is becoming more annoying. This was a relatively expensive TV when it was released in 2018 and I am surprised that there is no warranty on this type issue. Is there a repair for this or is this the end of the TV?

18 REPLIES 18
profile.country.IT.title
rooobb
Expert

That image is not really clear, you should use an homogeneous color background to evaluate the burn in that is in any case very rare if you followed all the instructions on how to set and maintain the screen.

profile.country.GB.title
Robbie-001
Explorer

No resolution from Sony help team. No offer of trade or compensation towards a replacement as the warranty had expired, anyway image retention isn’t covered. This Sony tv was the most expensive tv I have purchased and it has been the tv that has lasted the least time. I decided not to waste any more of my time, effort and money on sending my tv to a Sony service centre out with my area for further investigation I purchased a new LG model tv.

profile.country.IT.title
rooobb
Expert

I must say that it is a strange way to react: since you got an LG panel from Sony that was defective and not covered by warranty you bought the very same panel from lg under the same limitation...unless you decided for an LCD model from lg that are the worst in the market but at least make sense.

profile.country.GB.title
Robbie-001
Explorer

@rooobb I appreciate your feedback. It may well be the same panel but not the same price for the overall package and if this new tv doesn’t last per my last tv expectations it won’t frustrate me or cost me as much.

profile.country.IT.title
rooobb
Expert

@Robbie-001 I appreciate that you stick with OLED regardless of the bad experience. I would have done the same, even if I was luck enough to never experience any problem on any of the 3 OLED TV I have

profile.country.GB.title
daveyh64
Enthusiast

Not sure how wise it is replacing your Sony TV with an LG.

After all it is LG that makes OLED panels for various TV manufacturers

and that includes Sony.

When you asked John Lewis did they say why your problem was not covered by its 5 year guarantee.

profile.country.GB.title
Robbie-001
Explorer

John Lewis had 3 years warranty and unfortunately this had expired 2 months previous. Screen burn not necessarily covered under any warranty. If I recall correctly I was offered a 5 year warranty at a cost by the in store Sony rep. I did think to myself at the time that it was a Sony tv and believed in the quality that usually goes along with the Sony name.

profile.country.GB.title
HannahEd01
Community Team

Hey Robbie-001, I think that not all types of image burn aren't covered. I suggest that you contact Sony and check, if they said they would've covered it. Try JL again, there must be a warranty grace period?

profile.country.GB.title
Robbie-001
Explorer

@HannahEd01 Hi, I have spent many hours going through Sony help recommendations i.e. resets, panel refresh, screen colours video and photo’s to highlight the screen discolourations. I have provided all the feedback Sony has requested to be sent to them. None of Sony recommendations has resolved the issue. Sony ended up advising me to contact a Sony service centre to mobilise a Sony tech or courier the TV to a Sony service centre at my own cost due to the expired warranty.

I probably would send it if I had some level of confidence that the issue can be resolved but I don’t hence I have replaced it instead.