Join now - be part of our community!

Sony AG8 Netflix Dolby Vision picture issue.

profile.country.GB.title
SRkirk88
Explorer

Sony AG8 Netflix Dolby Vision picture issue.

Hi there,

I currently have a sony ag8 oled tv. However I currently having issues when displaying dolby vision content with the built in netflix app, I get alot of blocky textures on background white walls and lots of banding/blocky textures in dark scenes, plus a lot of artifacts in the black letter box bars. The only work round I found is putting the black level to 48 and increase the gamma to 1 to compensate, but I still get some blocky textures in the brighter scenes.

The same content watched in HDR is perfectly fine through a roku stick and sdr content is fine as well. I just seem to be having issues with Dolby vision content on the built in netflix app. Makes me think its software issue rather than hardware.

I've got the latest firmware version installed.

I have tried looking for solution on the internet, however I could not find any other complaint of this issue. So not sure if its widespread with the ag8 model or if it just an issue with my particular one. I have attached a picture showing my the issue, as you can see that there is a orange hue colour across the top of the screen and the textures in the wall in the background is very blocky.

Any help would be appreciated.

Screenshot_20200228-144724_Video Player.jpg

10 REPLIES 10
ericksontx
Explorer

This is a known problem with Sony A8G and Sony has avoided addressing it.

You can A/B test with another brand that supports DV, and play the same Netflix (or any other built in app with DV content) title along side the A8G. When DV kicks in you will see an instant downgrade and darkening on the Sony A8G. LG, Vizio, Hisense, or other brands DV looks great .

This is a multi-year problem with Bravias. Sony has tried to address this in updates to A9G and newer by adding Dolby Vision Bright mode, but for A8G and older there is no solution.

To clarify it has nothing to do with settings nor with external devices. You can make the DV picture less dark and awful by putting your gamma up to 1, 2, or max (when DV content is playing, go to action menu, picture settings).

. unfortunately Sony has not given either a fix or a real workaround - being able to disable Dolby Vision and allow fallback to HDR10 would be an immediate improvement as HDR10 titles are not affected and still look good.

The issue is DV only and stretches back a couple years of Android TV Bravias. It is purely a software issue on the part of Sony.

The internal implementation of DV is bad/faulty and has not been fixed as of the latest update.