Join now - be part of our community!

Dolby Vision on A8F

profile.country.GB.title
Woodyt99
Explorer

Dolby Vision on A8F

I have a problem with dark scenes in Dolby Vision on A8F set.  In shadows I get blocking and the detail of the picture looks like a negative (probably not explaining it well). I was therefore wondering if I could turn off Dolby Vision on the set and just watch the disc in HDR (I have an Oppo 203 player)

4 REPLIES 4
profile.country.GB.title
Pascale_F

Hi Woodyt99,

Welcome to the community.

I'll just see if I can find this out for you. Maybe someone else in the community can assist in the meantime?

Thanks,

Pascale

profile.country.GB.title
Tenneen9000

Hi Woodyt99,

Can you confirm that you've got the player connected to HDMI 2 or 3 and enhanced format is enabled under Home-settings-external inputs-HDMI signal format.

Also, as far as I can tell the A8F is the USA version of the AF8. If that's the case, you can post on the USA forum to get help.

P.S. if you want to turn off Dolby Vision you can do so under Settings-display-picture-advanced settings-video options-HDR mode and set it to off.

Cheers,

Tenneen9000

profile.country.GB.title
dutchice
Expert

Hi @Woodyt99,

Be aware that the DV (Dolby Vision) picture profile is a factory set profile which locks various common picture profile settings on your TV such as the brightness level for instance. Among these locked settings is also the HDR option. So when your TV receives a DV signal you are not able to switch the HDR mode and view the content in SDR or any other HDR mode for that matter. 

To view the SDR version of native HDR content you are required to verify if your Oppo offers the option in the first place. I am fairly sure that HDR Blu-ray discs do come with the base SDR stream layer. But switching from HDR to SDR is an option that requires to be set at source level, not the display.

Cheers,

Dutchice

profile.country.GB.title
Tenneen9000

Hi Dutchice ,

Thank you for the correction.

Cheers,

Tenneen9000