Join now - be part of our community!

Can my USA Sony Bravia TV XBR-55A9G be converted to use in UK

profile.country.GB.title
DrNickD
New

Can my USA Sony Bravia TV XBR-55A9G be converted to use in UK

Moved back to UK. Can my USA Sony Bravia TV XBR-55A9G be converted to use in UK?

9 REPLIES 9
profile.country.IT.title
rooobb
Expert

AFAIK no, but yo can still use it as a monitor

profile.country.GB.title
DrNickD
New

Thanks Rooobb. I was hoping I could send the TV to Sony and they could swap out the USA tuner for a UK one.

As an alternative solution I have managed to connect a UK Humax Aura Freeview 2TB box to enable TV to connect to UK TV, and it connects fine to the TV.

However, I have tried plugging my older Pioneer DVD player DV-696AV-S via HDMI to the TV and it does not work. There is no extra HDMI slot on the Humax Aura box, whilst there are a few HDMI ports on the TV.

What I need is to have a DVD Player Channel available on the TV but wonder if the Humax box blocked the DVD working via the TV HDMI 2 port?

You kind help is appreciated.

profile.country.IT.title
rooobb
Expert

Other than the tuner also the system used in Europe is different from USA (PAL vs NTSC) so this may be the reason why you don't get anything from the decoder/recorder . You may try to see if the devices support in some way outputting NTSC instead of PAL, but it is a long shot. Do not think any Sony authorized centre will make this kind of change (or if it is even possible)

profile.country.GB.title
Eskimosony

I'm pretty sure PAL and NTSC are a thing of the past when it comes to HD as it just pertains to how the screen is scanned...and all HD is the same these days. 

profile.country.IT.title
rooobb
Expert

Not exactly the same https://www.vboxmotorsport.com/wiki/HDNTSCPAL and in any case we don't know if the DVD player/recorder is capable of receiving and sending an HD channel...

profile.country.GB.title
Eskimosony

@rooobb Thanks, interesting. I have the UK AG9 it's a beautiful TV so I feel for OP. I know I will be reluctant to change it when the time comes.

profile.country.IT.title
rooobb
Expert

Yeah I can understand, even if probably it costs more to transport it and all the hassle with the compatibility than buying a new European OLED. I though since the beginning to a monitor-use since I saw a Vincent Theo video about a US Vizio OLED model he tested and that was he was suggesting....

profile.country.GB.title
Eskimosony

So @rooobb  reading that article it seems you will need a USA DVD player? It's sort of unclear. Also I suggest always having the HDMIs set to Enhanced.

profile.country.GB.title
HannahEd01
Community Team

Hey DrNickD, try changing the HDMI signal to enhanced and see if it works.