Join now - be part of our community!

Android 8.0 Oreo/ 9.0 Pie

profile.country.GB.title
zlays84

Android 8.0 Oreo/ 9.0 Pie

Is it OK to expect Android Oreo on 2017 Sony Android TVs?

641 REPLIES 641
profile.country.GR.title
ThanassisT.
Explorer

Sorry, my typing mistake!

I meant v6.5830

profile.country.AT.title
Kuschelmonschter
Hero

Latest release rumor is end of May... :joy: :sob: :rage:

profile.country.GB.title
zlays84

@Kuschelmonschter wrote:

Latest release rumor is end of May... :joy: :sob: :rage:

Damn... :rage:

profile.country.GB.title
Jecht_Sin
Enthusiast

@rooobb But you well know that the Oreo automatic update has been suspended due to issues with non Sony amplifiers. Now, sure. With HDMI-CEC is hard to point the finger, there are three elements involved (the TV, the Apple TV and the amplifier). The point is that it was never so bad with Android 7 (actually the best, in my case, has been the one before the last Nougat update). As soon as I upgraded to Oreo the problem started.

About the volume, that's an old issue. So much that I wanted to make a video. I have 3 scenarios:

- Only TV: the volume accelerate up/down using the Sony remote.

- Apple TV on, Amplifier on: as above. It's fine with the Apple TV remote (but the TV volume bar doesn't show. It changes directly the volume on the amplifier).

- Apple TV on, Amplifier off: amazing. It works as a normal volume bar!! It changes one level per time, just as it should be. With both Apple TV and Sony remotes (just double checked now).

profile.country.AT.title
Kuschelmonschter
Hero

New "release date"... "sometime around June", see here.

profile.country.IT.title
rooobb
Expert

@Jecht_Sin  ha scritto:

@rooobb But you well know that the Oreo automatic update has been suspended due to issues with non Sony amplifiers. Now, sure. With HDMI-CEC is hard to point the finger, there are three elements involved (the TV, the Apple TV and the amplifier). The point is that it was never so bad with Android 7 (actually the best, in my case, has been the one before the last Nougat update). As soon as I upgraded to Oreo the problem started.

About the volume, that's an old issue. So much that I wanted to make a video. I have 3 scenarios:

- Only TV: the volume accelerate up/down using the Sony remote.

- Apple TV on, Amplifier on: as above. It's fine with the Apple TV remote (but the TV volume bar doesn't show. It changes directly the volume on the amplifier).

- Apple TV on, Amplifier off: amazing. It works as a normal volume bar!! It changes one level per time, just as it should be. With both Apple TV and Sony remotes (just double checked now).

@Jecht_Sin I'm fully aware of the issues with Oreo that are not limited to Yamaha receiver (indeed my own Sony HCT350 has the same problem worked around with an optical cable). But no issue at all with volume commands (that is related to CEC not ARC anyway)

profile.country.IT.title
rooobb
Expert

@Kuschelmonschter  ha scritto:

New "release date"... "sometime around June", see here.

Be aware that that site refers to Oreo update in Australia that didn't receive any Oreo Update till now (they are stuck still with this https://www.sony.com.au/electronics/support/oled-tvs-android-a1-series/kd-55a1/downloads/00015438 )

so it could be completely different for Europe

profile.country.GB.title
haloharry97

I was on the phone to Customer relations team, they are pretty confident that the update will come out in end of may.

profile.country.EE.title
aqarwaen29
Explorer

and lets hope that sony dont fk up new update or else i ask refund..going to buy 2019 years Samsung 8k tv if sony manges again to fk up software..

I rather invest my money to proper quality tv ,if they mess it up again

profile.country.SE.title
DanteSwe

Same here. However I don't expect functioning Oreo update until 2026. At least for ZD9. And that's being optimistic.

Remember, Sony "engineers" are the most incompetent "professionals" to ever walk this planet. Probably in the history of the Universe, from the Bing Bang to the EOT.