Join now - be part of our community!

2015 Bravia Android TV Issues

NickCo1979

2015 Bravia Android TV Issues

I thought I'd create a generic thread to cover off the issues being encountered on the 2015 Bravia Android TVs. I've listed my issues below with fixes / workarounds and responses from support. All comments and solutions welcome!

1) Hot Swap HDMI doesn't work - manifested by no input on HDMI channels 2, 3 and 4 on the KD-49X8305C. Workaround - reset the TV, either by holding down the remote power button for 5 seconds or by switching the TV off at the wall and then back on again. Further details on this thread: https://community.sony.co.uk/t5/televisions/kd-49x8305c-hdmi-2-3-4-inputs-not-working/td-p/1944435

2) HDD Recording doesn't work - error message states a system update is required but none is available when checking. Hopefully this will be fixed soon by a firmware update.

3) Netflix App doesn't work - this seems like the app has been deliberately disabled. So far a support case has only recommended that a factory reset be performed (took two days to get to that cracking piece of advice.....), with no improvement as a result. A temporary (albeit for advanced users only) workaround is provided by MikeLothian on this thread - https://community.sony.co.uk/t5/televisions/netflix-support-for-kd55x8509c-android-tv/td-p/1945360 

4) Sound lag and performance issues after the TV (KD-49X8305C) has been on standby for a while - manifested for me as stuttering and sound / picture sync issues in all apps (youtube, amazon instant video etc) and HDMI sources (PS4, seperate YouView box etc). Hopefully this will be fixed in a firmware update, at the moment workarounds involve either changing channels to get the sync to work or in my case having to turn the TV off and then on again at the socket.

As stated previously, all comments welcome. Personally I'm willing to give Sony a couple of weeks to fix this, but if it's not done soon I'll be sending my new TV back for a refund as it's not really fit for purpose.

6,373 REPLIES 6,373
nik-007

I'm in Australia, forum here has helped me solving issue with software update, since then I follow this forum. 

Some of my thoughts regarding these TV

Ive X90C: Oz Firmware 3.17 is pretty stable if I compare with number of issues listed here. 

I'm using this TV for nearly 4 weeks, no lag or crashes. PIP works but not recording, was promised for December update but no update as yet. 

Occassional issue: if I activate free view plus then TV gets random issues, lock ups, no picture after restart. 

With this his firmware it's not perfect, but it's not too bad either. 

PS: I'm not Sony employee 😜😜, I'm on this forum because I was looking for solutions to issues I've. 

profile.country.GB.title
Shalendran

i just noticed that if there is no sound from your external speakers connected via HDMI to the TV, you may please go to sound settings in the TV, then enable TV speakers and then once again enable external speakers. Switching OFF and ON does not help.

profile.country.GB.title
royabrown
Enthusiast

@Caledonian_TV wrote:

If you have doubts as to the probity of Sony's claims please DO feel free to raise them with both Sony themselves and Trading Standards.   

No skin off my nose. But I do think the Emperor is parading here...

However, here's a fascinating link that both supports, and casts doubt on, these MotionFlow claims:-

https://www.sony.co.uk/electronics/televisions/x8300c-series/buy/kd43x8309cbu

Supports, because they practically define the differences between these sets that way, besides the bezel and stand colour options.

Casts doubt on, as all three sets, with all three rates, have the same RRP as far as Sony is concerned, no matter what Currys or anybody else may choose to sell them for. Which suggests to me that they all come with the same wholesale price to any given retailer.

Sure it might be relatively easy to do on the assembly line. But no value engineer worth his salt would let it happen with no price differential, and no marketing man worth his salt would allow it either, as it just muddies the customers otherwise clear choice.

When you drag across cells on an Excel spreadsheet, they can increment if you don't hold down CTRL. I think somebody in Sony made that mistake one time, and now it has become enshrined 🙂

YouView Superuser, but not an employee of YouView, nor retained by them for this purpose. It's purely me speaking
Caledonian_TV
Contributor

...If by that Roy you mean all this 'motionflow rate' stuff is a load of old spheres then I could not agree more. 

https://sony-eur-eu-en-web--eur.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/84351/kw/Motionflow

This statement from the  Sony article above for instance...

"Normal TV signals comprise 50/60 successive frames every second (50Hz/60Hz)."

....is complete and utter tripe! - Really! Shockingly incompetent rubbish!

In the UK, and most of Europe HD television programmes are delivered to the broadcasters by production companies to a mandated standard... ITU-R BT.709-5 Part 2.

1920 x 1080 pixels in an aspect ratio of 16:9
25 frames per second (50 fields) interlaced - now known as 1080i/25.
colour sub-sampled at a ratio of 4:2:2

Here's the BBC's position on it...  http://www.bbc.co.uk/commissioning/tv/production/articles/technical-requirements  - You'll get a near-identical document from any of the major broadcasters - If we don't deliver programmes to that standard none of the BBC, Sky, ITV, Channel 4 or Channel 5 will broadcast them!  Similar standards apply in the former NTSC countries where the frame rate is 30Hz 

- There would be nothing 'normal' about a 50/60 FPS TV picture...

The fact that the writer apparently doesn't know their fields from their frames is an indication of the 'salt' of their marketing and engineering departments!

The full specs for the sets in question are here...

https://www.sony.co.uk/electronics/televisions/x8300c-series/specifications

"Sure it might be relatively easy to do on the assembly line. But no value engineer worth his salt would let it happen with no price differential, and no marketing man worth his salt would allow it either, as it just muddies the customers otherwise clear choice."

I assume you're self employed, retired or own your own business?  - Or possibly work for an SME that still has actual humans running it?    

Marketeers, in my experience, very often have grasp of a rather fanciful 'reality '- many aren't particularly honest people either. Something similar can be said of certain styles of 'by rote' management.  - Thus the popularity of tripe like NLP and the tendency to shoot down realism ( or rather any sign of non-complaince) as negativity.  - Engineers worth their salt?  They can be fired from the trap just as easily as a clay pigeon ; and often are for their troublesome ways.  All that is fed from the demon of 'corporatethink' and injelitance... 

See C Northcote Parkinson for further details!

People who actually are 'worth their salt' and and are prepared to make a stand against bad decisions are not encouraged or, very often, not even tolerated in big corporations. Thus, in order to keep a roof over their heads, folk get so used to handling invisible cloth they just keep stitching...  Never mind the quality; feel the width! Some get so used to it they actually start to beleive their own BS!

I would suggest that the general situation here is that a load of yah-yahs and stuffed shirts from Marketing have pressured an 'engineering' team hand picked for their compliance rather than competence...  And I'm afraid - yes - it's a very dishonest game.  - But if you can screw and extra forty quid here and there out of folk for something that just doesn't matter...    

But there you go... Sony HAVE produced these variants...   And I'm afraid the legal position remains that there must be some technical variation between them.  

JohnTyler
Explorer

Hi, our new 809c model has some issues. Purchased 10/01/16.  

Power on issues: We turn off main power at night. Turn on in the morning. Two times the Sony unit would not turn on. Had to hard reset.

USB issues: 3 ports, all connected but not in use. But power is constantly on. USBs lights are on and disc is spinning, but not being used by user. Needs to be a way for the usb drives to only power on, when accessed via remote, whilst constantly connected. 

USB drives should be independently seen on the screen, same as HDMI is. 

Google Accounts: Needs to be a way to register more than only one google account, with the system. 

YouTude: Needs to be a way to log into other YouTube accounts, but restricted by only one google log in. 

NowTV app: Would be nice...

Any Help please? 

profile.country.GB.title
royabrown
Enthusiast

@Caledonian_TV

Well, as above, Sony aren't screwing the extra £40 here, as all their RRPs are the same. And yes, any owner of an 07 or an 09 who wants to chop it back in, certainly could on the grounds of the delinquent MotionFlow rate, if I am right.

And yes, I'm self employed (employed by my own company, so technically not self employed, but we all know what we mean). But I'm working for a big corporate, so I know how they operate also.

But this 800/900/1000 thing benefits nobody; it complicates manufacture, but does not exact a price premium; it complicates the marketing message -someone is bound to ask why he can't have the best rate unless he accepts a light chrome bezel with a dark chrome stand, or whatever it is.

If there really are these three rates, it is a new and special form of incompetence, quite separate from production foisting these sets on marketing, or marketing insisting on this differentiation beyond the cosmetic.

Ive seen all sorts of strange things done in companies because of someone's self-aggrandisement, or someone else's incompetence; but this tiny step-change means three of everything, right through to Spares and Repairs who would hate it.

if Sony really are doing this, though, then they are in much worse shape than I ever thought.

YouView Superuser, but not an employee of YouView, nor retained by them for this purpose. It's purely me speaking
Caledonian_TV
Contributor

@royabrown wrote:

@Caledonian_TV

if Sony really are doing this, though, then they are in much worse shape than I ever thought.

Yup!  - Though they've pulled similar stunts in the past; especially with the small 'prosumer' camera ranges...  - Parts wise it will just be a difference of one board and odd cosmetics

SDCEGavster

Hello fellow Sony/Android TV sufferers.... (My set-up = Sony Bravia KD55X8507 + Humax Foxsat HDR)

It's been a while since I've posted here. Having heard nothing from my ex-colleagues at Sony on this topic, I thought I'd post any updates I had experienced.

Last week whilst watching tv via HDMI1 + Humax Foxsat the TV decided to suddenly switch to the HOME page, call up the Google Recommendations and try to play them.. AUTOMATICALLY!  Nobody was near a remote control. My wife was livid. Even with changing the input to HDMI 1 again, we received no Video, just Audio from the Humax and had to perform a soft reboot via the power button on the remote.

That was weird enough.

However, at around the same time yesterday, another Sunday, the same thing happened. My wife was just about to watch a movie on Channel 5, when the TV decided to switch video to the HOME page. All by itself.... Suffice to say she wants the TV returned...

Anynone else experiencing this problem?

adyjay33

Yes mine did a similar thing yesterday, thought that the remote might have
been touched but no one was near it.

I too am waiting for the update but I might be dumping this before as I
think it will never be sorted.
KD-55X8509C LATEST FIRMWARE
NOT A HAPPY CUSTOMER!
bunkum100
Explorer

Is it fair to say the 4K sets are suffering more than the HD models? I've only had my HD set a couple of weeks but apart from the software updating issue (which I eventually fixed by just using a different thumb drive) I haven't had any of the issues discussed here.

(I realise I've totally jinxed my TV having said that now)