Join now - be part of our community!

2015 Bravia Android TV Issues

NickCo1979

2015 Bravia Android TV Issues

I thought I'd create a generic thread to cover off the issues being encountered on the 2015 Bravia Android TVs. I've listed my issues below with fixes / workarounds and responses from support. All comments and solutions welcome!

1) Hot Swap HDMI doesn't work - manifested by no input on HDMI channels 2, 3 and 4 on the KD-49X8305C. Workaround - reset the TV, either by holding down the remote power button for 5 seconds or by switching the TV off at the wall and then back on again. Further details on this thread: https://community.sony.co.uk/t5/televisions/kd-49x8305c-hdmi-2-3-4-inputs-not-working/td-p/1944435

2) HDD Recording doesn't work - error message states a system update is required but none is available when checking. Hopefully this will be fixed soon by a firmware update.

3) Netflix App doesn't work - this seems like the app has been deliberately disabled. So far a support case has only recommended that a factory reset be performed (took two days to get to that cracking piece of advice.....), with no improvement as a result. A temporary (albeit for advanced users only) workaround is provided by MikeLothian on this thread - https://community.sony.co.uk/t5/televisions/netflix-support-for-kd55x8509c-android-tv/td-p/1945360 

4) Sound lag and performance issues after the TV (KD-49X8305C) has been on standby for a while - manifested for me as stuttering and sound / picture sync issues in all apps (youtube, amazon instant video etc) and HDMI sources (PS4, seperate YouView box etc). Hopefully this will be fixed in a firmware update, at the moment workarounds involve either changing channels to get the sync to work or in my case having to turn the TV off and then on again at the socket.

As stated previously, all comments welcome. Personally I'm willing to give Sony a couple of weeks to fix this, but if it's not done soon I'll be sending my new TV back for a refund as it's not really fit for purpose.

6,373 REPLIES 6,373
elraouk

Allegedly the move to 6.x for 2015 sets was mentioned at CES, but I've not seen any formal confirmation it will happen (hence no timeline for when). 
Caledonian_TV
Contributor

@Unhappy_43x8309_owner  - Sony replaced mine (at my insistance) with an X90B from the 2014 range... 

It's been here a week; where the Android set was within that time causing severe problems; this one hasn't given me a moment's puzzlement.  Even the (admittedly limited) 'apps' on it work well on our ridiculously slow internet connection...  Touch wood; but it does seem to do what it says on the tin!

Now... When we build something 'touchy' like an edit suite the first thing we do is select the software. We then research the optimal version of the OS it needs to support it, and select/build the hardware around that; fine-tuning the system so it will work smoothly...  And they do! We have very little down time.  But invariably 'someone' will insist they can run the same software on some random laptop; and that's where we start to get problems...  Worse where (and I WILL sack people for this) some idiot decides to  tinker with the set-up and/or loads other software onto the edit system... 

Usually the individuals who do this sort of thing are 'quite young' and think they know it all! 

Clearly Sony's code works fine with Sony's hardware...  Built for the purpose, fine tuned with the benefit of decades of experience. - It possible even has a little 'slack'...  Add Android?  Well Android may well work very well on various devices that are built for it...  But as a bolt-on?  Apparently not.

"Or is the whole thing the old Google TV and Googles responsibility?"

Well no...  It's Sony's name on the door!  It's Sony who are railroading customers down this root...  And it's Sony who released these sets with this bodged-up version of the OS...  And inflicted on the public without proper testing.  - At the very least it should be possible to boot the set from a factory reset to either Android or the 'old' native Sony OS that presumably must be 'there' at some level.

ci7y2015

@elraouk

i didnt see that i saw   'Android TV from Sony, Toshiba, Sharp and Philips. Later this year, Android TV will be available from Arcelik, Vestel, RCA, Hisense, TCL and Bang & Olufsen. And, for our users in Indonesia, Linknet now has an Android TV offering'

so for the above all to get it esp B&O, will have to pull there socks up

http://officialandroid.blogspot.co.uk/2016/01/more-fun-in-living-room-with-android-tv.html

ci7y2015

@Caledonian_TV

i agree with that comment, you should have the choice on first Boot, factory reset,   Android TV or basic Sony software insterface  and use a 3rd party device for Smart features

profile.country.GB.title
royabrown
Enthusiast

@ci7y2015 How is YouView poor, please?

And please do not merely parrot what has already been said on here, except where it is unarguable that the problem lies with YouView itself, and not the leaky waterbed of an apology for a TV operating system that Sony provide to underpin it, with their Android implementation.

I'm interested in what you yourself have experienced of it that you did not like, and which is provided in a more preferable way on the Freeview side?

YouView Superuser, but not an employee of YouView, nor retained by them for this purpose. It's purely me speaking
profile.country.GB.title
royabrown
Enthusiast

@ci7y2015

That first maker listed under 'Later this year' might be a difficult sell in the UK market 🙂

YouView Superuser, but not an employee of YouView, nor retained by them for this purpose. It's purely me speaking
ci7y2015

@royabrown

i never once said Youview was poor... i said the app was, janky, a clearly bad implementation etc, due to comments i skipped over 🙂  

I dont use youview/freeview and never will

and i can 'parrot' anything id like to on a public forum 

baz4096

Well that's me out of here. Received my Samsung UE48JU7000T yesterday and got it all set up last night. It's not as nice as the Sony I had; not as keen on the looks, and the interface isn't as "modern", however I had the thing booted up, connected to my 5GHz wifi and did a firmware upgrade in the time it took my old Bravia to do it's first boot... 

HDD recording works, PIP does too, I've got Plex, Netflix & Amazon Instant Video, plus all the UK terrestrial on demand apps, without even a sniff of YouView.

The screen quality is definitely below that of the Sony, however I'm going to have to get some reference videos/images and do a better job of setting it up. 

I really wish that Sony had sorted their systems out sooner, as I would have much preferred to keep the Bravia, however at least now I have a TV that doesn't frustrate me anywhere near as much.

Best of luck to those choosing to wait it out, I genuinely hope you get all of your problems resolved.

Baz

PS, Unsubscribing now, looking forward to a "quiet" inbox again.

EDIT: Wow just added up: 1399 emails from this forum since I signed up at the beginning of December.... that's a big slice of my life I'm not getting back 😞

ci7y2015

@royabrown

and your point is?  i was responding to a Comment about CES2016 if thats ok?

you can import anyting 🙂

elraouk

His point is that it was a joke about that company's name! 
Your reference is obviously one with regards android tv as a whole, the update to M for the 2015 Sony's was apparently mentioned in the Sony presentation which mainly talked about the 2016 models. 
I didn't see/hear it myself just talk of it.  It's mentioned on a few websites too if you look, something Google is good for...  http://androidtv.news/2016/01/sony-says-2015-android-tvs-will-be-updated-to-marshmallow/