Join now - be part of our community!

2015 Bravia Android TV Issues

NickCo1979

2015 Bravia Android TV Issues

I thought I'd create a generic thread to cover off the issues being encountered on the 2015 Bravia Android TVs. I've listed my issues below with fixes / workarounds and responses from support. All comments and solutions welcome!

1) Hot Swap HDMI doesn't work - manifested by no input on HDMI channels 2, 3 and 4 on the KD-49X8305C. Workaround - reset the TV, either by holding down the remote power button for 5 seconds or by switching the TV off at the wall and then back on again. Further details on this thread: https://community.sony.co.uk/t5/televisions/kd-49x8305c-hdmi-2-3-4-inputs-not-working/td-p/1944435

2) HDD Recording doesn't work - error message states a system update is required but none is available when checking. Hopefully this will be fixed soon by a firmware update.

3) Netflix App doesn't work - this seems like the app has been deliberately disabled. So far a support case has only recommended that a factory reset be performed (took two days to get to that cracking piece of advice.....), with no improvement as a result. A temporary (albeit for advanced users only) workaround is provided by MikeLothian on this thread - https://community.sony.co.uk/t5/televisions/netflix-support-for-kd55x8509c-android-tv/td-p/1945360 

4) Sound lag and performance issues after the TV (KD-49X8305C) has been on standby for a while - manifested for me as stuttering and sound / picture sync issues in all apps (youtube, amazon instant video etc) and HDMI sources (PS4, seperate YouView box etc). Hopefully this will be fixed in a firmware update, at the moment workarounds involve either changing channels to get the sync to work or in my case having to turn the TV off and then on again at the socket.

As stated previously, all comments welcome. Personally I'm willing to give Sony a couple of weeks to fix this, but if it's not done soon I'll be sending my new TV back for a refund as it's not really fit for purpose.

6,373 REPLIES 6,373
baz4096

Any recommendations for a replacement for my KD-49X8307C?

Amazon have just agreed (without me even trying) to collect and fully refund my set, purchased 29th Oct 2015, so it looks like I best get a new telly sorted, or my wife will go spare.

In fact, they even let me keep the free sound bar that came with it (Sony HT-CT80 ~ £95)

Woo!

dazworld

@baz4096 wrote:

Amazon have just agreed (without me even trying) to collect and fully refund my set, purchased 29th Oct 2015, so it looks like I best get a new telly sorted, or my wife will go spare.

In fact, they even let me keep the free sound bar that came with it (Sony HT-CT80 ~ £95)

Woo!

Great baz4096. It's the right thing a retailer can do. I am expecting the same, having just submitted my complaint letter to Sony directly. 

smashah

@baz4096 wrote:

Woo!

Considering the set was outside the 30 day period, what did you tell amazon to make them accept the return?

baz4096

@smashah wrote:

@baz4096 wrote:

Woo!

Considering the set was outside the 30 day period, what did you tell amazon to make them accept the return?

I simply said that it still doesn't record to HDD as originally promised by Christmas. I was all ready for a fight and the online support chap at Amazon offered to arrange collection and issue a full refund. Kind of took the wind out of my sails, but in a good way.

profile.country.DK.title
Merlins_Apprentice

My Sony is also has begun turning itself on after last update  PKG3.169.010EUB for KD-55X8505C

Did it three times this night, begun after about 8 hours after i turned it off! First three times i just put it back on standby, the fourth time i hit the contact on the wall.. Sony FIX this.... 😞 

adyjay33

Basically it a crap TV.

KD-55X8509C LATEST FIRMWARE
NOT A HAPPY CUSTOMER!
profile.country.GB.title
royabrown
Enthusiast

@baz4096 wrote:

Woo!

I don't think you can beat Samsung. Here's a comparison of several 48in Samsungs comparable to the Sony.

There's no special significance in this being a John Lewis page, except their prices are keen and they give a five year guarantee, and importantly, the ability to compare on their website. I'd like to have used the Samsung site, but it is fairly useless, with RRP prices and no easy compare facility any more.

it depends what you want - satellite or not, and so on. There's even a curved one there. There is more choice if you go to 55in, but I've tried to stay in the region of 49ins, and in the region of what the Sony is priced at.

i just got a UE55JS9000 to supplant (it's slightly unfair to say 'replace') my KD-43X8309C, but that's a very big jump in price, though it does prove that I put my money where my mouth is on make of TV.

Every time I do such a compare though, I realise afresh what a bargain these Sony sets would be if only they could live up to their promise 😞

YouView Superuser, but not an employee of YouView, nor retained by them for this purpose. It's purely me speaking
Patrandec

I'm thinking of sending mine back to Amazon next week as I bought mine for the 3D which have never worked properly. However shouldn't I return it and then wait for all the new HDR models to come out? 

frankie1g

When I said this a few weeks back I was slaughtered. I agree and let's face it we got a lot of TV for our money but unfortunately the.TV didn't live.up.to what was.promised.such a shame Sent from my Samsung device
profile.country.IT.title
rooobb
Expert

Sorry, but not one of those Samsung models in the comparison list spot PVR capabilities (AFAIK it's only from JU7000 onward)... so it's not a problem anymore if it's not yet implemented on Sony.....