Join now - be part of our community!

2015 Bravia Android TV Issues

NickCo1979

2015 Bravia Android TV Issues

I thought I'd create a generic thread to cover off the issues being encountered on the 2015 Bravia Android TVs. I've listed my issues below with fixes / workarounds and responses from support. All comments and solutions welcome!

1) Hot Swap HDMI doesn't work - manifested by no input on HDMI channels 2, 3 and 4 on the KD-49X8305C. Workaround - reset the TV, either by holding down the remote power button for 5 seconds or by switching the TV off at the wall and then back on again. Further details on this thread: https://community.sony.co.uk/t5/televisions/kd-49x8305c-hdmi-2-3-4-inputs-not-working/td-p/1944435

2) HDD Recording doesn't work - error message states a system update is required but none is available when checking. Hopefully this will be fixed soon by a firmware update.

3) Netflix App doesn't work - this seems like the app has been deliberately disabled. So far a support case has only recommended that a factory reset be performed (took two days to get to that cracking piece of advice.....), with no improvement as a result. A temporary (albeit for advanced users only) workaround is provided by MikeLothian on this thread - https://community.sony.co.uk/t5/televisions/netflix-support-for-kd55x8509c-android-tv/td-p/1945360 

4) Sound lag and performance issues after the TV (KD-49X8305C) has been on standby for a while - manifested for me as stuttering and sound / picture sync issues in all apps (youtube, amazon instant video etc) and HDMI sources (PS4, seperate YouView box etc). Hopefully this will be fixed in a firmware update, at the moment workarounds involve either changing channels to get the sync to work or in my case having to turn the TV off and then on again at the socket.

As stated previously, all comments welcome. Personally I'm willing to give Sony a couple of weeks to fix this, but if it's not done soon I'll be sending my new TV back for a refund as it's not really fit for purpose.

6,373 REPLIES 6,373
profile.country.GB.title
royabrown
Enthusiast

The 'TV that wouldn't die' strikes again

Was using the TV to listen to Classic FM on 731, and was pleased to note that the TV would now accept 731 off the numeric keypad and tune to it, as last week it wouldn't. Who knows what changed - maybe a midweek reboot?

But when I turned it off, with the remote, it came back on, repeatedly. In the end, I had to Mute it to get the silence I needed. Later, when I could concentrate, I did get it to turn off.

The set is no longer connected to a soundbar, or indeed anything else except the mains and an aerial, so there is no CEC to confuse the issue here,

I was careful to use only the shortest of presses, as I have a theory the remote signals need better debouncing, but this was to no avail.

Needless to say, turning off a TV should not be an activity that requires all your concentration.

Nor should getting it to turn off without needing a reboot (this time at least)  be a matter for rejoicing.

How long have Sony been making TVs? Why can't they get the simplest thing right?

YouView Superuser, but not an employee of YouView, nor retained by them for this purpose. It's purely me speaking
walshy5050

Helo there

people are saying that they don't think Sony will ever get round to sorting out the 2015 model tv's as they will be concentrating of the 2016 models.

If that is true where do we stand with the tv's 

profile.country.GB.title
andipr

Walshy5050 -In my mind Sony would be liable for refunding us if they release working 2016 models prior to bringing our 2015 models up to the specification they were sold as having.

The law may or may not agree, but I'm sure others here who are more clued up on current consumer rights might have an opinion on this.

My Model KD43X8309CBU
Caledonian_TV
Contributor

@royabrown wrote:

How long have Sony been making TVs? Why can't they get the simplest thing right?

I believe your theory about the 'debouncing' of remote signals is quite correct Roy.  - I play a little guitar so have 'good' nails on my right hand; I also became quite conscious of the remote being 'touchy', so have been quite careful to be precise in using it... And have noticed that even very definite single presses made with the side of a fingernail are often interpreted by the set as two or three presses. The remote is quite difficult to use in my left hand ( my writing hand) which has no nails... 

I've also had it 'refuse to die' on quite a few occasions...  Come through to use it and found it unplugged where the family have been unable to get it to switch off and just left it.  - The reboot reminds me of being a small boy waiting for the valves to warm up!   And yes, entering channel numbers is pretty random too... 

I'm comforted by the fact I'm currently just waiting for news of when mine is to be picked up. 

elraouk

Had my first refuse to die moment last night, ironic as I'd been watching the walking dead.  Not sure if this is what other people have experienced, as it wasn't a case of so the TV switching off and on again, on a single press of the power button the screen went black (bar light bleed in the corners) and led stayed on. Press power again and it came back to the home screen.  Hold to reboot didn't work.  My theory is something has failed to shut down, I tried force stopping the apps I'd used (ES Explorer, plex, Amazon and sony video player) but no joy and pulled the plug.  Did notice that things like Youview still showed as being a running app, even though I have it disabled.  Soooo many running 'apps'...
profile.country.GB.title
frogger38

@Caledonian_TV wrote:

@royabrown wrote:

I believe your theory about the 'debouncing' of remote signals is quite correct Roy.  - I play a little guitar so have 'good' nails on my right hand; I also became quite conscious of the remote being 'touchy', so have been quite careful to be precise in using it... And have noticed that even very definite single presses made with the side of a fingernail are often interpreted by the set as two or three presses. The remote is quite difficult to use in my left hand ( my writing hand) which has no nails... 

I've also had it 'refuse to die' on quite a few occasions...  Come through to use it and found it unplugged where the family have been unable to get it to switch off and just left it.  - The reboot reminds me of being a small boy waiting for the valves to warm up!   And yes, entering channel numbers is pretty random too... 

I'm comforted by the fact I'm currently just waiting for news of when mine is to be picked up. 

SONY PLEASE NOTE... I think this post has it spot on. Having had the set for 4 months, I have 'learnt' how to use the remote. Something which shouldn't be needed. I really have to concentrate making sure i use short jabs on the buttons and not to operate buttons too quickly in sucession. IT IS AROUND THESE HINTS you need to concentrate on for the next fix. I also have an issue when navigating around the EPG and menus when I get a 'double click' and the navigation jumps two items. This should be such a simple issue for such an experienced company to fix. This TV really does make my 7 year old Sony TV in the bedroom a real pleasure to operate, it seems so snappy and responsive and does what I expect of it without errors or lockups. 

Product is is Sony 2015 KDL 43W805C Android TV, UK Model with YouView, purchased Sept 2015.
dazworld

I agree re liable for refunding.

Sony have released a TV in BETA which is not fit for purpose.

Caledonian_TV
Contributor

elraouk wrote:
Did notice that things like Youview still showed as being a running app, even though I have it disabled.  Soooo many running 'apps'...

Yup... You can't get rid of 'em!  Even if you do manage to force stop them, many still appear on your home screen. And the first time the set is rebooted - which let's face it, is needed often - they're all back again...  To me the set behaves as if it's 'underpowered'. Others, who are I suspect more knowledgeable about these things, suggest memory leaks; whch make absolute sense given the way the sets behave...   

i.e. Even if you're doing nothing with the set other than watching off-air TV, it will eventually crash.  

profile.country.GB.title
royabrown
Enthusiast

@andipr wrote:

Walshy5050 -In my mind Sony would be liable for refunding us if they release working 2016 models prior to bringing our 2015 models up to the specification they were sold as having.

The law may or may not agree, but I'm sure others here who are more clued up on current consumer rights might have an opinion on this.

The law does not agree with that reason, but continues to provide adequate support for anyone who was sold one of these TVs with a spec, or the promise of a spec, that was not fulfilled.

The waters have been slightly muddied lately by the complete withdrawal of all claims of HDD recording before 31 March, so anyone who bought one after that withdrawal will need another reason.

But one thing these sets are certainly reliable at is providing a rich fund of such reasons, from switching off when they aren't supposed to, as part of a spontaneous reboot, to not switching off when they are supposed to, because you pressed Standby on the remote 🙂

YouView Superuser, but not an employee of YouView, nor retained by them for this purpose. It's purely me speaking
profile.country.GB.title
royabrown
Enthusiast

Caledonian_TV writes

....I play a little guitar....

I used to think I was doing the same, but then I found out it was a ukulele... 🙂