Join now - be part of our community!

2015 Bravia Android TV Issues

NickCo1979

2015 Bravia Android TV Issues

I thought I'd create a generic thread to cover off the issues being encountered on the 2015 Bravia Android TVs. I've listed my issues below with fixes / workarounds and responses from support. All comments and solutions welcome!

1) Hot Swap HDMI doesn't work - manifested by no input on HDMI channels 2, 3 and 4 on the KD-49X8305C. Workaround - reset the TV, either by holding down the remote power button for 5 seconds or by switching the TV off at the wall and then back on again. Further details on this thread: https://community.sony.co.uk/t5/televisions/kd-49x8305c-hdmi-2-3-4-inputs-not-working/td-p/1944435

2) HDD Recording doesn't work - error message states a system update is required but none is available when checking. Hopefully this will be fixed soon by a firmware update.

3) Netflix App doesn't work - this seems like the app has been deliberately disabled. So far a support case has only recommended that a factory reset be performed (took two days to get to that cracking piece of advice.....), with no improvement as a result. A temporary (albeit for advanced users only) workaround is provided by MikeLothian on this thread - https://community.sony.co.uk/t5/televisions/netflix-support-for-kd55x8509c-android-tv/td-p/1945360 

4) Sound lag and performance issues after the TV (KD-49X8305C) has been on standby for a while - manifested for me as stuttering and sound / picture sync issues in all apps (youtube, amazon instant video etc) and HDMI sources (PS4, seperate YouView box etc). Hopefully this will be fixed in a firmware update, at the moment workarounds involve either changing channels to get the sync to work or in my case having to turn the TV off and then on again at the socket.

As stated previously, all comments welcome. Personally I'm willing to give Sony a couple of weeks to fix this, but if it's not done soon I'll be sending my new TV back for a refund as it's not really fit for purpose.

6,373 REPLIES 6,373
profile.country.GB.title
royabrown
Enthusiast

@julianblack wrote:
Hi. Thanks for the info. I'm lucky in that the TVs came from John Lewis and are provided with a five year warranty. The way this technology is going, five years is becoming the viable life of a TV -:( Until this Android TV fiasco I was a complete Sony disciple. Not anymore! I would have gone Samsung but having seen the picture quality of my in-laws curved 4K set (not good at all), I'm giving LG a chance. Sent from my iPhone

In-laws can't always set up televisions to their best advantage.

Go and showroom in Curry's, even if you don't buy from them; and if you see an LG picture better than a Samsung picture, then you will be looking at an LG OLED set, which I hope you can afford 🙂

YouView Superuser, but not an employee of YouView, nor retained by them for this purpose. It's purely me speaking
julianblack

It was even worse than the in-laws setting up the TV. It was the Curry's own installers! I'm not going to get involved in their set. First time I saw it my mother in law kept on asking me to look at it. I picked up the remote, pressed a button and lost all picture and sound - it was set up so that their sky had box did everything. All this 4K technology as a bloody glorified sky hd box monitor. Even though it was definitely an hd source the picture looked crap. I was going to log them into my Netfilx account (they've got fiber broadband). Upon reflection, I thought don't bother. Sent from my iPhone
Anonymous
Not applicable

Ive never seen the point in curved TVs - still dont.

kevfarme

@royabrown wrote:

The reset you get by pressing the On button on the remote until the set reboots may do better than unplugging it.

* I shall try that and repot back with the results*

When there is no picture, do you get anything by pressing Home?

*Tried that.  Nothing.  No menu just the led light at the very bottom centre of the frame flashing as I press the button on the remote*

These sets have a Picture Off mode, which is reached from the Action Menu button; maybe this has been accidentally activated? So try pressing the Action Menu button and maybe, just maybe, the menu will come up and you can choose Picture again?

*I'd thought of this after reading about it previously.  Again, I have tried the 'Action menu' and nothing*

Re an alternative TV, I relegated the Sony back to the study a couple of days ago in favour of a Samsung, to avoid just such issues as you have just had.

So why not Samsung?

*I have had multiple problems with various Samsung products in the past.  I vowed after giving them 'yet another chance' never again*

But if not Sony, Samsung or LG, that only leaves Panasonic in my opinion. Those four are the mainstream. The rest are clones, rebadgers, and a few high-end niche makers for London pads with three-level basements 🙂

It looks very likely that it will be a 'PANASONIC VIERA TX-50CX700B'  Currys have this particular model on at just £50 more than what I spent on the Sony.  With hopefully everything working of course.

kevfarme

As promised, a report back.  I have tried holding down the green (on/off) button on the remote.  I have tried this both shutting down and after a shut down (white led light off at bottom centre of frame) holding it down for about 1 minute.  I got sound at one point but that went.  What I do seem to have is a backlight that gives the whole screen a very slight blueish tinge glow.

I have checked and the aerial is still good.  I have tried cycling through the hdmi inputs even though I cannot see the menu for them (this would not need the aerial anyway).  To do this I switched my HDD/DVD recorder on so that hopefully when the input came round to the designated port it would (or should) show on screen.  Nothing.

Panasonic here I come.

profile.country.GB.title
royabrown
Enthusiast

@Quinnicus wrote:

Ive never seen the point in curved TVs - still dont.

The curve is too gentle to come to a point 🙂

YouView Superuser, but not an employee of YouView, nor retained by them for this purpose. It's purely me speaking
kevfarme

How strange?  SONY do not appear to like negative (but polite and no swearing at all) comments about their products on the official Sony Facebook page.  Ah well, I have now sent the story including comments concerning this very forum to BBC Watchdog.  

These tv need to be recalled straight away.  This is wrong to have customers treated in this manner.  Peter_S please let the powers that be know our feelings on this matter.

@kevfarme Sony only like positve feed back , with every bit of praise on twitter or facebook they are over it like a rash, but the best you`ll get from them on twitter is contact the helpline, then you just get a script answer ( which is tough , just wait till March 2016 )

They occasional forum volunteer thats spent a few hours on the forum and earned a gold star might pitch up (Peter S for example ) but the company really doesnt think the issue warrants a formal response.

Just suck it up and twiddle your thumbs, you`ll get your moneys worth when they are ready , you`re only a customer you know........

kevfarme

@Miffed-just-a-tad wrote:

Just suck it up and twiddle your thumbs, you`ll get your moneys worth when they are ready , you`re only a customer you know........

Not a chance.  I don't just stand and take it.  When there is a problem they get but one chance.  That's been abused twice so it goes back tomorrow.  I can't wait until March anyway, I have a set that simply is not working at all.  I have no picture and no sound.  It's not intermittent it's a permanent state of deadness 😞

gustiem
New

I've got the same problem as issue no 2 with my KDL-50W807c