Join now - be part of our community!

VPCF11Z1E/BI Questions

SOLVED
profile.country.en_GB.title
mw198t
Visitor

VPCF11Z1E/BI Questions

I am looking at a used VPCF11Z1E/BI on ebay which has 4gb RAM. I thought this model came with 8gb ??? Why would this one only have 4?

Also the auction states it's been refurbished with a new motherboard. Seller states they were in the middle of a bios update when their antivirus blocked it and fried the motherboard. Plausable? The

VPCF11Z1E/BI support page mentions overheating issues,

Message was edited by: mw198t

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
mw198t
Visitor

Just an update.

Everything checks out fine. Apparently the seller powered off during a bios update. The laptop was taken to The Tech Guys and they ordered a new motherboard and fitted it.

The laptop does have 8GB of RAM.

Very happy with laptop. Happy days

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

Yes, the VPCF11Z1E was produced with 8GB of RAM - see specifications here: -

http://support.vaio.sony.eu/computing/vaio/specifications/index.aspx?m=VPCF11Z1E_BI&l=en_GB

If the auction says 4GB then either someone has taken a 4GB stick out or alternatively they may have made a mistake.

This model did have overheating issues that were rectified by Sony with a BIOS Update.  I suppose it is plausable that a main board had to be replaced.

Do they claim that the Vaio is working normally?

I suppose it depends on the price - buying such a recent Vaio on eBay does have its risks.

:thinking:

mw198t
Visitor

I have won the auction and paid £650. There was very little time left on the auction and seemed too good an offer to miss. If anything is majorly wrong I am covered by the eBay Buyer Protection Policy.

The seller states they have owned it from new and doesn't know why there is only 4gb RAM. Was there an option to downgrade to 4gb to save money when originally configured?

When I receive the laptop is it relatively easy to open it up and visually check the memory slots? I am competent at building desktop pcs im just a laptop virgin.

The seller states that the repair was performed by The Tech Guys. Will they have replaced the motherboard like for like with a genuine OE board? Are they a reputable repair shop? Is it even possible to put a non OE board into a laptop?

Thanks

Edit: Yes seller states the laptop is working normally.

Message was edited by: mw198t

profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

You can download the Manual from here: -

ftp://ftp.vaio-link.com/pub/Manuals/Notebooks/VPCF11/VPCF11_H_EN.pdf

Have a look starting at Page 98 for how to easily check the memory.

I think The Tech Guys are the repair/support people from PC World.  I would think only Sony would be able to replace the motherboard - but it is possible PC World sent it back to Sony.  Otherwise it may have been a repair or reflashing of the BIOS. 

http://www.thetechguys.com/services/laptop-repair/

:wink:

mw198t
Visitor

Thanks mate. You are really helpful.

The seller says they have the repair receipt and will send it with laptop. I will update this thread once I receive the laptop.

mw198t
Visitor

Just an update.

Everything checks out fine. Apparently the seller powered off during a bios update. The laptop was taken to The Tech Guys and they ordered a new motherboard and fitted it.

The laptop does have 8GB of RAM.

Very happy with laptop. Happy days

profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

Good News!

I hope you enjoy your new Vaio.

:slight_smile: