Join now - be part of our community!

Vaio laptop VPCEE2M1E, windows 7, freezes randomly, all frozen except the mouse, any help please?

profile.country.en_GB.title
emziiiee
Visitor

Vaio laptop VPCEE2M1E, windows 7, freezes randomly, all frozen except the mouse, any help please?

I'm not quite sure why it started but since a couple of days now, after a while of use my laptop will just lock up completely, except for the mouse. (And audio if there was some playing before it locked up) Pressing Ctrl,Alt , Delete doesn't help, and occasionally when it has responded, a black screen opens and an error message saying that Alt Ctrl Delete won't work will appear.

I've done a virus scan but I had to put my computer in safe mode for it to last long enough to complete the scan. It found nothing, and for the next day worked fine again, but now is freezing.

I thought it might be to do with over heating, but if I use the power button to turn it off and on again it lasts about the same amount of time, I would've though over heating would've meant it would've cut out almost immediately seen as it would be at the same temperature?

At a guess I'd say it lasts an hour/hour and a half before it locks up, but it varies. Also, there doesn't seem to be a particular program/task that sets it off.

Also, I don't know if this is connected, but it recently has no run the driver for my graphics tablet, on start up I get a pop-up box saying the tablet driver is not running and this only seems to have been happening since the freezing issue.

Also when frozen the hard drive light glows solidly and I've tried leaving it to see if there is an outcome, but there isn't. My screen saver was also disabled but I don't know why, or again if this is connected, it all just happened around the same time.

Thanks for any help, I'd really appreciate it!

3 REPLIES 3
profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

To check the overheating theory, try downloading SPEEDFAN and read off the temperatures inside your system: -

http://almico.com/sfdownload.php

If it not a heating issue it will be time to phone Vaio Support next week.

I assume all Microsoft and Vaio Updates have been downloaded from here and installed: -

http://support.vaio.sony.eu/computing/vaio/downloads/updates/index.aspx?m=VPCEE2M1E_WI&l=en_GB

:thinking:

profile.country.en_GB.title
emziiiee
Visitor

It's at about 58C is that overheating or okay?

Thanks for your help by the way :slight_smile:

profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

That is OK for the processor - that will not start to lock until 90+ degrees.

The only other thing to try is to reseat the RAM Memory modules to make sure there is not a bad contact.

:neutral: