Join now - be part of our community!

Xperia XZ3 can't format SD card to an internal storage

Veskopos
Visitor

Xperia XZ3 can't format SD card to an internal storage

Hello,

I have Sony Xperia XZ3 with Updated Android 10. Today i just bought an SD card 128GB SanDisk Extreme => 160MB/s read speed and 90MB/s write speed. I bought it because my storage is 99% full with applications, images, videos. But i don't want to move images and videos to the SD card. I want to move applications, like I can do it with my old phone - Xperia Z3. I watched tutorials how to make the sd card to an internal storage => "Settings" -> Apps info. And there should be 2 options for the SD card -> "Format" and "Format as internal". But at my phone there is only one option -> "Format".  And the option "Format as internal" is missing. How can I enable this option? Is there any additional steps?Screenshot_20200217-125204.png

Screenshot_20200217-125214.png

1 REPLY 1
Jonas
Master

Hi @Veskopos, welcome to our forum!

The option to format the SD card as internal storage that was added in Android 6.0 was never added in Xperia devices due to security and coding.

Regarding applications to the SD card, Google stopped providing the possibility to move apps to an SD card to secure the security and the privacy in Android 6. This feature was removed from Android, but Sony Mobile continued to support it for users' convenience for some time. However, we decided not to keep our solution to move apps to an SD card for users' security and privacy. So we stopped providing this feature in the Xperia XZ1 series, XZ2 series, the Xperia XZ Premium, the Xperia XA2 series, Xperia XZ3 and newer products.

You haven't done anything wrong and there are no options missing, the features are not available and that is the reason for it not showing up as described in the tutorials.