Join now - be part of our community!

VPCF12Z1E unexpected shutdown by gaming

SOLVED
profile.country.el_GR.title
ckoulatsi
Visitor

VPCF12Z1E unexpected shutdown by gaming

Hello.

I have the above mentioned laptop and i usually used for my work which evolves programs like photoshop. Lately i installed a couple of serious games like need for speed etc to play at my free time.

When i play the games the laptop shutdown unexpecteldy after about 5 min of playtime.

I mean complete power off. No leds on. Nothing. This is very frustrating. If you touch the laptop at the left side of the keyboard its almost burning.

What i also have to mention is that the plastic rigged part below the keyboard has been detached on the left corner probably from the heat which makes the laptop look like a really cheap one. My worries are the unexcpeced shutdowns. What can i do for it. Any suggestions?

PS: I'm very dissapointed from buying this laptop as i never had a sony vaio before and had huge expectations from it. The performace is average for programs like Photoshop.

Tags (1)
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

I am not sure what the temperatures should be but yours are definitely too hot.  Most processors start to shut down at 90 to 95 degrees to prevent heat damage.

Check nothing is obstructing the air vents - are you using it on a soft surface like a carpet or a bed?  You could try blowing some compressed air though the vents but I doubt if that will help.

If you are still within warranty, have a word with Vaio Support and see what they say.  It may need an internal inspection.

:thinking:

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

You could try downloading a program that will monitor temperatures.

This will tell you if it is a CPU thermal shutdown or a GPU overheating.

Try PC Wizard: -

http://www.cpuid.com/softwares/pc-wizard.html

ckoulatsi
Visitor

Ok Thx for your tip,

As i said by touching it could burn your hand and i wasn't wrong.

According to the program u recommened i get those results....

PC Wizard 2010  1.961

Windows 7 Home Premium Home Edition Media Center 6.01.7600

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

<<< Voltage, Heat & Fan >>>
  > Monitoring Chip : ACPI
  > Thermal Zone : 85 °C
  > Monitoring Chip : Sony ACPI
  > Thermal Zone : 85 °C
  > Processor Voltage :
  > Voltage : 1.57 V
  > Processor Intel Core i7 : Sensor DTS
  > Core 1 : 86 °C
  > Core 2 : 84 °C
  > Core 3 : 86 °C
  > Core 4 : 85 °C
  > Energy Power : 13.78 W
  > Memory Controller :
  > Rank #0 : 12 °C
  > Rank #1 : 15 °C
  > Rank #2 : 12 °C
  > Rank #3 : 15 °C
  > NVIDIA GeForce GT 330M : nVidia Driver
  > Temperatur GPU : 87 °C
  > Temperatur GPU (GPU) : 87 °C
  > Fan GPU : 100.0%
  > Hard Disk Monitoring : S.M.A.R.T
  > Hard Disk ST9500420AS : 41 °C
  > Battery : Driver

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
***** End Repord  *****

As you can see the fan is working at 100% and the temperaturs are very high by doing almost nothing.

I was not playing at that time but was serfing on the web.

Are those temperatours normal?

profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

I am not sure what the temperatures should be but yours are definitely too hot.  Most processors start to shut down at 90 to 95 degrees to prevent heat damage.

Check nothing is obstructing the air vents - are you using it on a soft surface like a carpet or a bed?  You could try blowing some compressed air though the vents but I doubt if that will help.

If you are still within warranty, have a word with Vaio Support and see what they say.  It may need an internal inspection.

ckoulatsi
Visitor

There is nothing obstructing the air vents. I'm working on a hard desk.

I think i have 1 month left of warranty so i will defintely check it out with the sony support center.

Thank you for your tips.

ckoulatsi
Visitor

Update: The Laptop was send to Sony Service. Awaiting for the verdict.

Final Update: I got the laptop back after 5 days. Sony changed the faulty fan and the motherboard as also the plastic finish which was melted from the heat.... free of charge as it was still in the warranty.

The laptop was faulty from start.

Average temperature is now around 60 degrees celcius and i have to admit that the machine is a beast,  performance wise.

The weak performace was propably due to the faulty mobo/fan as it was overheating.

My fault was that i didn't stressed the laptop at first place to find out the problem.

Everyhting went fine. Thank you Sony. :slight_smile:

Message was edited by: ckoulatsi

Message was edited by: ckoulatsi

profile.country.fr_BE.title
PiouStarcraft
Visitor

hey,

i also have problems with the same models and after a quick search online, it seams that the problem is general for the VPCF12Z1E models.

Computer over heating and making 747 type of noise.

i'll contact sony to see what can be done !

Thanks

If your laptop isn't under guarantee, check thermal paste on the CPU and the GPU. My VAIO's CPU temp while gaming was about 90 C. I opened up the laptop and found there was barely any thermal paste on the CPU (it was 'destroyed' by the heat. Make sure to check that. It's usually easy to replace, at least with my laptop! :slight_smile: