Join now - be part of our community!

Vaio S USB and update problem

profile.country.fi_FI.title
DimDiode
Visitor

Vaio S USB and update problem

I recently bought a new Sony S 13" laptop (VPCSB1V9E/B). Everything works fine, but as I try to update "Recovery Data Update" -package the installation crashes almost instantly after the update installation starts. I have also tried downloading the package manually from Vaio support site, but it has exactly the same problem.

The second problem is that Windows occasionally informs me of an high current/power peak on some of the USB-ports, even though I have none plugged.

Has anyone had similar problems with new Vaio S -laptops? Are these two problems linked somehow? Support site says that the update I'm trying to install has something to do with USB3 compability.

Tags (3)
7 REPLIES 7
profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

Hi DimDiode and welcome.

It doesn't look like this is a common problem so I think I would have a word with Vaio Support to look for a way forward.

:thinking:

Mratilai
Visitor

Hi!

I am new Vaio user but I have exactly the same problem, I get error when Vaio update is trying to update Revovery data update 1.0.0.15290. I have the same model VPCSB1V9E, have You been to solve Your problem?

Additionally i tried to change SSD drive to my new Vaio using recovery DVD's, everything goes fine,  but when windows is installing, it continues up to 17% and hangs while "Installing ME driver (intel)", anyone seen this problem?

DimDiode
Visitor

I solved the problem with the update by completely re-installing the OS from VAIO recovery DVDs I made. The whole proccess took me about 4,5 hours. I also had to install all the VAIO updates before Windows 7 updates and SP1.

You could try installing the OS first to the original VAIO HDD and then cloning the whole HDD to the SSD.

And about my USB power surge problem, I narrowed it down to the USB 3.0 host controller. If I disable the whole controller the surge notification doesn't occur anymore. Vaio support adviced me to take the computer to the VAIO local service for repair. I'm going to handle this through my seller since I don't have time to mess with this VAIO Care-thing on my own.

cabba.
Visitor

I just recieved a new  VPCSB1A9E/B. Right after installing the operating system (win 7 pro finnish) I ran the vaio update and the recovery data update 1.0.0.15290 crashes on me too. Everything else installs fine. The error log is in finnish but I'll try to translate.

Error event name: APPCRASH

Program name: P1Update.exe

Program version: 1.6.0.15290

Program time stamp: 4d919310

Error module name: ntdll.dll

Error module version: 6.1.7600.16559

Error module timestamp: 4ba9b29c

Fault code: c0000005

Fault deviation: 0002e1fe

Operating system version: 6.1.7600.2.0.0.256.48

Regional settings: 1035

Additional info 1: 0a9e

Additional info 2: 0a9e372d3b4ad19135b953a78882e789

Additional info 3: 0a9e

Additional info 4: 0a9e372d3b4ad19135b953a78882e789

Mratilai
Visitor

Hi!

I have not yet tried to re-install my OS to original HDD. Originally I only installed those VAIO update files and after that made my recovery DVD's. then changed to SSD and tried recovery using those recovery DVD's. But that failed.

I just wonder what would happen if I try reinstall to original HDD, will it fail similarly as with dvd recovery to SSD. Does someone know where are these recovery DVD's created, are they created from the recovery partition so that they are similar to DVD's, if this is the case then I am afraid this recovery would also fail ...

Additionally what is this VAIO update "Revovery data update 1.0.0.15290", does it update something in the recovery partition?

profile.country.en_GB.title
avrato
Visitor

I too have very recently purchased the Sony Vaio (VPCSB1V9E/B)13" laptop & although I haven't yet tried to do the recovery date update & have from the very start had problems with a message continually coming up saying "Power surge on hub port A USB device has exceeded the power limits of its hub port"

I tried resolving this via the Sony tech support via e-chat they suggested several solutions which did not work.

I then telephoned & it was suggested I restore to factory settings which took a couple of hours & still did not resolve my problem.

Sony then agreed to collect it for repair.

Since they've had it they reckon they can't duplicate the problem.......

They are driving me crazy I don't seem to be getting anywhere with them, you only get to talk to a customer service person who passes on what you've said to the tech guys result zero satisfaction.

I wonder if there is a problem with all of them?

profile.country.en_GB.title
CarolNeuro
Visitor

I purchased the VPCSB1V9E. I had a "power surge on a hub port" even when there was nothing plugged in. I called Sony Care.. after multiple calls and reformmatting the whole machine and finally after I took a picture of the message  and dumped it into "paint" and sent it to Sony they had the machine collected and repaired. It is a hardware problem You should have it repaired if your machine is under warranty.