Join now - be part of our community!

SVE1512W1E It's Losing Me...

profile.country.en_GB.title
SteptoesHorse
Explorer

SVE1512W1E It's Losing Me...

About 4 days ago I was made aware that my Norton 360 was telling me there were problems with 2 items which required attention. The problem remained after trying to fix this, but it appeared that this "might" not be my trouble. The m/c refused to fix the 2 items, or was incapable, so I tried for over 24hrs to give it a go, until I just gave up and took it back the shop.

Trouble number 1, the shop had gone bust about 3 weeks ago, so I thought I'd better give it another go. So I reinstalled Windows 8, I find this a bit of a pain as there's no copy disk supplied and managed to get the Windows 8 up and running, or so I thought.

The "Start" seemed OK, but I did notice that it didn't look as before, missing a few squares and rectangles, the big problem would appear to be when I try to FIX anything "missing" I'm told that it can't find or access it.

Seems a bit strange as IE is working linking up to just about anything. Any answers will be welcome, I just don't want to have to send it to Sony in view of the fact it's source of purchase going to the wall!

Neil

Message was edited by: SteptoesHorse

Message was edited by: SteptoesHorse

4 REPLIES 4
profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

Hi Neil.

How did you reinstall Windows 8? If you have not used the Sony Recovery you will lose all preinstalled software and drivers.

If I were you I would recover the Vaio back to factory settings and start afresh. With the Vaio turned OFF completely, press the ASSIST button and navigate to the Recover Your Vaio from the Hard Disc recovery area section. It will take several hours to carry out a full recovery. Follow the instructions for a 'Recovery from the Recovery Area' in your Troubleshooting Guide here: -

ftp://ftp.vaio-link.com/pub/manuals/consumer/4445110111.pdf

If you are using Norton as your antivirus, you MUST remove completely the preinstalled McAfee security program. You must use the MCPR.EXE removal tool to remove everything or it will conflict with your Norton program and cause all sorts of problems.

http://service.mcafee.com/FAQDocument.aspx?id=TS101331

:thinking:

SteptoesHorse
Explorer

Hi Blencogo

I couldn't get anything besides "the blue screen" so I selected the ASSIST btn. route and as you said it did take nearly 2 hours.

With regards to Norton I honestly can't remember whether I did remove the McAfee, but I've just had a look and the only evidence of it was "Parental Control" so I removed that.

One of the problems I'm having right now is to do with "Settings" I keep getting this.

This page can't be displayed.

- Make sure the web address http://go.microsoft.com is correct.

Could this be anything to do with the highlight you've made about the Norton and McAfee issue, that I might have messed up?

As a matter of interest, is there a problem the Sony Forum signing in, that's why this took over 2.5 hrs to respond to your answer.

Neil

profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

Did you choose to "Refresh your PC" or "Select Recovery Wizard" from the Vaio Care Rescue Screen?

:thinking:

SteptoesHorse
Explorer

Sorry Blencogo, I've suffered 2 days of problems trying to log in, so it may well have appeared that I've abandoned the Forum... not the case! As you can see I got in first time this go.

I chose "Select Recovery Wizard". Is this the better route for me?

When I used "... it's losing me", I'm afraid it is! Having lost the ability of signing in, I phoned Sony and my landline packed in!!!

Neil