Join now - be part of our community!

Need to reinstall windows 7 but don't have disc

JaneBlonde

Need to reinstall windows 7 but don't have disc

I need to reinstall widows 7 64bit for VPCSA3M9E. I have everything except the disc but cannot find a place to download it.

What are my options?

Tags (1)
16 REPLIES 16
profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

Hi JaneBlonde,

Are you booting the notebook with disk 1 in the drive? The recovery disks do not work if you first boot the OS.

If this fails to work then, assuming the HDD has not been changed, I can only think that a hardware fault is preventing recovery.

Rich

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat
JaneBlonde

Hi Rich,

I'm pretty sure it's not a hardware issue, the machine was fine before I
started messing around with it and I've now managed to install Windows 8.1
as I had a disc for that.

I would have much preferred to install Windows 7 but couldn’t get the disc
and it was not on the 12 discs I bought.

I thought that the recovery discs would have reinstalled windows but I
don't think that's an option for them.
profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

Hi JaneBlonde,

You still haven't answered the question of whether the HDD is original or replaced. I re-emphasise that if it has been changed for an Advanced Format drive the recovery disks will not work.

As Windows 8.1 installs then the chances are that a retail copy of Windows 7 will also install and all drivers and utilities are available on the Support site.

Windows 7 OS will be on the recovery disks but not as a separate entity - just part of the recovery to factory settings.

Rich

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat
JaneBlonde

Sorry, it's an original hard drive, it opens with the viao logo and viao bios logo. Nothing has been replaced on the machine at all.

At this stage I think I'll stick with win8.1 as I've updated the drivers based on this.

Do you think it's possible to get a refund for the recovery discs?

profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

Hi JaneBlonde,

As you say that this is the original HDD and if you have had this from new the recovery media should work. I don't know what the problem is but I suggest you contact the supplier, explain that they don't work, and ask for your money back.

If you have not had the machine since new it may be worth running a quick check. Run Command Prompt as Administrator and use the following command:

C:\Windows\system32>fsutil fsinfo ntfsinfo c:

If it is the original drive then both bytes per sector and bytes per physical sector should be 512.

Incidentally this is not the first report on this forum that the disks supplied by EET Europarts do not work but unfortunately as Sony have now contracted the supply out I believe they are the only source. You could always make a complaint to Sony Europe but I doubt that you would get very far....

Rich

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat
JaneBlonde

Thanks Rich, I think I'm happy with the windows 8.1 install so will cut my
losses and drop it. Although it didn't work out, I appreciate your help.
May the road rise to you also.
profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

You're welcome JaneBlonde:smileyhappy:

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat