Join now - be part of our community!

can i run sony vegas on my rather old sony vaio PCG 8U1M?

profile.country.en_GB.title
richardglastonbury
Visitor

can i run sony vegas on my rather old sony vaio PCG 8U1M?

My old sony vaio PCG 8U1M has had its hard disk reoplaced and so i no longer have the original vaio operating system running - instead runnning on windows xp - but its my only computer with fire wire connection and i want to edit videos using sony vegas - i cant find the laptop specs anywhere (and the stick on specs on the case have worn off! - so what i want to find out is can I run the latest sony vegas software on it or is it just too limited and slow and instead do i need to buy a new lap top with firewire?

Tags (6)
2 REPLIES 2
profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

You can't find the specifications because you are not quoting a valid Vaio model - you are quoting a chassis number which is shared by several models.

Have a look on the screen surround for a different model number - I think you will find you have something like a VGN-A517S and the specifications can be found on the support pages for that model here: -

http://support.vaio.sony.eu/computing/vaio/specifications/index.aspx?m=VGN-A517S&l=en_GB

What version of Sony Vegas are you wanting to use and will the video be HD?

:wink:

profile.country.en_GB.title
richardglastonbury
Visitor

Thanks Blencogo  for this - now I see it is a VGN A517M - not sure which version of vegas as I have not got it yet - not HD as I'm filming with a SONY PD170P DV/DVCAM. Anyway I have looked up specs with this model number....so that's been useful, thanks

VGN-A517M

Genuine Windows is authentic Windows software that is properly licensed and legally installed. Learn more about the special benefits reserved for genuine Windows customers by visiting www.microsoft.com/genuine.

Operating

• Operating SystemWindows XP Home
  • Service Pack2

Technical Platform

• ArchitectureIntel 915PM

CPU Section

Memory

• Memory Size (MB)1024
  • Memory Speed (Mhz)533
  • Memory TypeDDR2 - PC2-4200 (SO-DIMM)
  • Max. Supported Memory (MB)2048

Display

• Diagonal Size (in)17
  • Resolution1440 x 900
  • Resolution TypeWXGA+

Graphics

• Graphic Card NameATI Mobility Radeon X600
  • Total Graphics Memory (MB)128

Multimedia

• Audio ChipsetALC260 - 2-Channel High Definition Audio Codec
  • Chipset ManufacturerRealtek
  • Audio TypeAC Link

Drives

• Hard Drive SATA (GB)100

Optical Drives

• Optical DriveCD x24, CD-R x24, CD-RW x24, DVD x8, DVD+R x8, DVD+RW x8, DVD-R x8, DVD-RW x6, DVD DL x4

Interfaces

• Memory Stick™ SlotMemory Stick™ Standard, Memory Stick™ PRO
  • USB Port(s) (quantity)3
  • USB SpeedHigh/Full/Low
  • USB Version2.0
  • 4 Pin i.LINK (IEEE1394)1
  • Headphone JackYes
  • Microphone JackYes
  • TV OutYes
  • VGAYes
  • Docking Station ConnectorYes