Join now - be part of our community!

KDL-32CX523 - will it work with a UPnP media server?

profile.country.en_GB.title
phil1982moor
New

KDL-32CX523 - will it work with a UPnP media server?

thinking of replacing my PC - with a RAID disk server - use Servio at the moment to stream from PC, hoping I can use the software that comes with the media server

3 REPLIES 3
Catmambo
Contributor

Yup - Sees it in the same way that it would a PC. I use both a Synology NAS & PC to stream. Indeed on the NAS you can actually install serviio.

phil1982moor
New

Thanks

Can I only use a Synology NAS? I'm looking at a fairly cheap D-Link NAS server to start with,.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi there

NAS drives will work. As long as it can incorporate a uPnP Media Server (DLNA). The one thing that you need to bare in mind is that the media that you stream must be recognisable with the end device (ie a TV). Generally the more you pay, the better features they have.

A cheap D-Link NAS server that has uPnP Media Server software will do the job. The latest models of Synology can have Serviio installed, which supports on the fly transcoding (to an extent). This means that the Serviio software will change the format of the media to one that is recognised on the end device automatically.

So, to simplify the answer, any NAS will do, as long as it has some type of uPnP Media Server software.

My advice is to find whichever model you want, and google it. Read reviews from others from websites such as Amazon etc. Do your research fully, even email the company themselves. Research Research Research. This ensures that you will not be disappointed.

Hope that helps