Join now - be part of our community!

YouTube 2.03.04 restricts resolution of 60p video to 720p

profile.country.AT.title
Kuschelmonschter
Hero

YouTube 2.03.04 restricts resolution of 60p video to 720p

YouTube 2.0 introduced quite severe playback issues for high frame rate video. 60p video suffered from severe stuttering on Sony ATV starting at Full HD resolution already while YouTube 1.x played it buttery smooth up to 4K at much lower CPU usage. In YouTube 2.03.04, Google now restricts resolution of such video to 720p. That's how Google fixes issues. A good example of how significant this Android TV platform really is.

21 REPLIES 21
profile.country.GB.title
Risc0n
Contributor

@Kuschelmonschter wrote:

YouTube 2.0 introduced quite severe playback issues for high frame rate video. 60p video suffered from severe stuttering on Sony ATV starting at Full HD resolution already while YouTube 1.x played it buttery smooth up to 4K at much lower CPU usage. In YouTube 2.03.04, Google now restricts resolution of such video to 720p. That's how Google fixes issues. A good example of how significant this Android TV platform really is.

Not on my XE90 it doesn't, assume you are talking about ATV1? The latest version runs a lot smoother than previous releases.

profile.country.AT.title
Kuschelmonschter
Hero

No. On ATV2..

youtube_720p.jpg

Optimal resolution for The World in HDR is 720p60. If you check user reviews on Google Play, others are experiencing the same thing.

profile.country.GB.title
Risc0n
Contributor

IMG_0094.jpg

profile.country.AT.title
Kuschelmonschter
Hero

Can you check your YouTube App version?

profile.country.GB.title
dutchice
Expert

YouTube 2.03.04 has been so far the best revision ever by Google in playing back stutter free videos on ATVs. 4K@60p videos never have been this butter smooth before. That's how Google fixes issues. A good example of how significant this Android TV platform really is.

I suggest you try sharing your mobile internet connection if it is able to reach at least 40 mb/s speeds on 4G and test again.

The World in HDRThe World in HDR

profile.country.AT.title
Kuschelmonschter
Hero

'Optimal Resolution' always shows the maximum supported by the respective video together with the hardware in use. Only 'Current Resolution' is limited by bandwidth. I had this kind of issue in the past already but then suddenly got fixed. Might be a regional thing. Can play the video at 2160p60 with Smart YouTube TV though.

That's how Google fixes issues. A good example of how significant this Android TV platform really is.

So where is HDR support which Sony demonstrated at CES2016? See here. Supported on Samsung and LG for months already.

profile.country.GB.title
stormyuk
Expert

@dutchice @Kuschelmonschter are you both on the same TV models?

I will check that video later on my XE90, the last few versions of Youtube have had very stuttery video 4K@60p on my XE90.

profile.country.AT.title
Kuschelmonschter
Hero

I think it depends on region rather than the TV model. But I can be wrong. @Risc0n already confirmed full resolution for XE90. I am currently testing on a XF90.

profile.country.GB.title
stormyuk
Expert

@Kuschelmonschter wrote:

I think it depends on region rather than the TV model. But I can be wrong. @Risc0n already confirmed full resolution for XE90. I am currently testing on a XF90.

Yeh, there has been talk about if the X1 Extreme vs X1 picture processor makes any difference to the Youtube performance or if its all down to the mediatek soc for network vs decoding the video.

But yes @Risc0n suggests the XE90 is ok (or better) with this version than the previous release. I will try later. Good news if it is improved, I wonder why you are seeing worse performance?

Incidently is HDR working now or do we still need to cast from a phone to get HDR and does that impact performance?