Join now - be part of our community!

You View deletes Satelite chanels

profile.country.GB.title
castleugly
Explorer

You View deletes Satelite chanels

I have a new KD55AF8. On set-up, You View was enabled so I disabled it and tuned in the satellite channels available. All worked OK but when I re-enabled You View all the satellite channels disappeared.  Is switching between satellite and You View possible on this TV, please?

5 REPLIES 5
profile.country.GB.title
royabrown2
Hero

@castleugly 

Yes, you just did it 😜

But you probably mean is it possible to have both at once?

To which the answer is No, in this clusterfail of an OS implementation.

My favourite bedtime reading is a Sony product manual…
profile.country.GB.title
castleugly
Explorer

Thank you for your reply.  I can understand why you can't see satellite channels on YouView but not being able to switch source between satellite and terrestrial with YouView is pants. And actually deleting the satellite channels seems just spiteful.

profile.country.GB.title
royabrown2
Hero

@castleugly 

YouView have no interest in seeing the Satellite channels deleted.

The reason this has to happen seems to be a state secret that both parties, Sony and YouView are very tight-lipped about. But my theory is the footprint of YouView and the footprint of satellite services are too big to coexist, so it has to be one or the other. Whether YouView, with its size nines, was supposed to come in size sixes, or whether YouView was promised room for its size nines and then only allocated room for size sixes, or whether the satellite footprint or the space for it was the issue, we may never know.

Likewise, we may never know why Sony, encountering this issue in 2015, didn’t just stick a few more Gb in from 2016 onwards....

But as it is, YouView on these TVs is but a pale shadow of YouView on its own hardware, and satellite is but a pale shadow of the Freesat you might reasonably expect.

Every time I pass the Sony TVs in Curry’s, with their gorgeous and unrivalled picture quality, I feel a pang of regret. But then I remember the compromises under the hood, and the impossibly clunky Android OS, and I move on.

I’m just glad I was able to pass our first and only Sony Android TV down to number one son, who uses it as a monitor for his Sky service, and doesn’t have to engage with either the YouView or the satellite, or even the Freeview on his set. For that usage, it’s a match made in heaven. But you should see his face when I ‘borrow’ the remote for a while, to check out something reported on here ....

profile.country.GB.title
robobby
Explorer

Not only the satellite problem but with you view disabled, it's not possible to access catch-up tv directly. The only way to do this is by casting from another device! So I've paid £800 for a telly that I cannot control the way I wish. Oh and can't record tv without you view either! When I disabled you view I got the message "if you disable this app it may misbehave" LOL - as apposed to the bullying, dictatorial, restrictive way it behaves when activated. You're not the only one scratching his head at this stupidity mate 🙄

profile.country.GB.title
royabrown2
Hero

@robobby 

Well, in fairness, let’s start by putting a few points straight.

Firstly, with YouView disabled, you can still get the BBC iPlayer and My5.

And I hope you aren’t blaming YouView because it’s the only way you can get the itv Hub and All4; blame Sony for not licensing these separately themselves if you like.

Then look up Hoshsadiq on the web (taps side of nose......)

And it’s with YouView you can’t record, not without. Was that a typo?

Apart from that, lay on, McDuff!

And now Samsung is finally going OLED, I’m hoping the most gorgeous picture I will walk past in John Lewis next year will be on one of the new Samsungs. And the only reason I will be walking past it is that I will be on my way to the till to buy one.