Join now - be part of our community!

XG95 & XH95 Variable Refresh Rate (VRR)

profile.country.GB.title
williamfsmith

XG95 & XH95 Variable Refresh Rate (VRR)

My request to Sony is that they release a Firmware upgrade to implement VRR on both of these TV's.

Especially as these are flagship models for Sony LCD TV's

Very important IMHO with the impending release of the next gen consoles.

According to the internet it would seem a previous iteration of XG95 Firmware was successfully modified (unofficially) to implement VRR.

9 REPLIES 9
profile.country.GB.title
williamfsmith

No replies? there are going to be a lot of people who want VRR when the next gen consoles appear.

profile.country.IT.title
rooobb
Expert

Normally Sony does not add up specification that are not declared when you buy the tv. At this moment VRR compatibility is declared only for XH90 models.

Bear in mind that on a 120 Hz panel VRR does not add much, maybe freesync premium/LFC for 30fps games

profile.country.GB.title
wizardbynight
New

I just bought one of these TVs and love it, but also wondering the same thing. Even if it doesn’t do 4K/120 it would be nice if Sony respected early adopters and enabled VRR. They will probably say the chipset can’t handle it, though

profile.country.GB.title
williamfsmith

It obviously can as a previous firmware was modified to enable VRR.

Sony subsequently prevented this in subsequent firmware updates so I believe it was and still is possible.

profile.country.IT.title
rooobb
Expert

There is no fw on any Sony TV that enables VRR, even on XH90

profile.country.GB.title
williamfsmith

The keyword here is "Modified" Firmware.

Someone knowledgeable modified a previous iteration of Firmware and enabled VRR, so I would suggest that the TV's are capable of VRR.

profile.country.IT.title
rooobb
Expert

Never heard of any modded firmware for sony tv's 
profile.country.GB.title
williamfsmith

Just because you have never heard of it doesn't mean it didn't happen.

profile.country.IT.title
rooobb
Expert

If you understand my (bad) english I never said that it doesn't happen. IMHO I'm quite sceptic that someone has the right knowledge to enable VRR to a Sony firmware that even Sony itself has delayed for XH90 and any other company (LG, Samsung) has problem to get it working right. But I'll put my 5 cents that even if technically possible Sony will never add support to VRR on model that were not sold with this feature and good luck if you ever decide to use a modded firmware if available