Join now - be part of our community!

Where are iPlayer and ITV hub apps on new A90J 2021 OLEDs?

profile.country.GB.title
Toadio
Explorer

Where are iPlayer and ITV hub apps on new A90J 2021 OLEDs?

All the common UK catchup tv apps appear to be missing for the tv and they cannot be installed from google play store.. spec clearly states YouView support and specifically iPlayer.. surely i cant be the only one that has noticed these are not there?!

215 REPLIES 215
profile.country.GB.title
CyberWoogy

@CloobsterNobody can see what that is you've posted there in its entirety but, it looks as though you're referring to more work arounds and sideloading of apps from non-legitimate sources.

I would never advocate that.

And sideloading iPlayer doesn't give anyone access to the HLG HDR content available from the BBC, nor does casting.

Until Sony pull their finger out, owners of 2021 Sony TVs are left without the UK catch-up TV services. Personally, I should have heeded my own advice and never bought a product based on a promise.

profile.country.GB.title
HannahEd01
Community Team

Hi Cloobster, that's another "unsafe" workaround. Why don't you guys report this to Sony, the more we talk about it the more we see results!

profile.country.GB.title
royabrown2
Hero

@HannahEd01  @Toadio 

5 pages of postings, 6 months gone by; what does it take to get Sony’s attention?

But we are assured that Sony is working hard to get these apps; and you think a few more emails to them is going to make a difference?

Sets going back to the retailers, that will make a difference; and six months is the first milestone in the Consumer Rights Act 2015, the one where the burden of proving that a fault was original falls onto the customer, instead of it being the presumption any longer. So we are getting into make-your-mind-up time for anyone who wants these apps native on their TV, and are wondering exactly how long they should give Sony to come good.

Also worrying is Toadio’s statement about the iPlayer being in the spec of this TV, something I can’t find there; is it still there and I can’t find it, or was it never there and Toadio was wrong about it? Or was it there originally, but Sony have stealthily removed it since?

My favourite bedtime reading is a Sony product manual…
profile.country.GB.title
jcameron22

I’ve done just that. Please everyone in the forum, if you haven’t already, open an actual personal complaint with Sony. The agent informed me ‘we hope you can understand that this is a temporary situation, but one that is currently beyond our control and very much in the hands of 3rd party service providers’ but when I asked for more information, timescales, whether it was a licensing or software issue and specifics on who are the cause of the delays and who I should complain to they said they cannot discuss it any further and sent me links to the apps for itv,bbc,you view and all4. I said I would like them to confirm that they have captured my complete dissatisfaction with this response on the ground that it does not address any of my questions and are simply evasive and I asked for the complaint to be escalated. They asked for my vat receipt which I have supplied and I’m currently awaiting the next response.

Will report back when I know more but please everyone, get your complaint registered too (Strength in numbers!)

profile.country.GB.title
angelacr

This practice is serially fraudulent by Sony. In that exactly the same happened with the first generation Android TVs bought in 2015. The update came eventually; can't say when exactly as I use a non-Sly satellite box as my media platform.

Any one want to start a class action? Advertising what you don't supply to achieve pecuniary advantage is fraud in my book..

profile.country.GB.title
nepunch

This is a great shame I was going to buy a Sony Bravia XR XR65A80J next week. I might have been willing to buy it without catch up as long as I knew it was coming. Howver, given that this should be a relatively small thing to sort out for Sony there is no real excuse for the delay. Perhaps they have lost interest in the UK market? So, look like the G LG OLED65C14LB for me?

profile.country.GB.title
royabrown2
Hero

@angelacr 

Where have you seen it advertised that a 2021 Sony TV has these players?

My favourite bedtime reading is a Sony product manual…
profile.country.GB.title
angelacr

Sony are more cute than to directly misstate the situation. They just  leave the impression the update is imminent.  I took all my information from reviews on-line and Richersounds.com.

I quote :-"**BBC iPlayer, ITV Hub, All 4 & My5 are expected to be available via YouView during 2021. Some services are only available in UK. "  I think it reasonable for the first firmware update to meet that hinted promise; it didn't.

That quote, above, on its own lets them off the hook. But not, in my opinion. if you take Sony's previous behaviour with the Sony KDL series. See here:- https://community.sony.co.uk/t5/android-tv/kdl43w755c-youview/td-p/2008751

Clearly Sony know exactly what they are doing and hold its UK customers in contempt.

profile.country.IT.title
rooobb
Expert

@angelacr  ha scritto:

Sony are more cute than to directly misstate the situation. They just  leave the impression the update is imminent.  I took all my information from reviews on-line and Richersounds.com.

. But not, in my opinion. if you take Sony's previous behaviour with the Sony KDL series. See here:- https://community.sony.co.uk/t5/android-tv/kdl43w755c-youview/td-p/2008751

Clearly Sony know exactly what they are doing and hold its UK customers in contempt.

That link is an old 2015's 3d that was not updated by whom created it, Youview indeed arrived on november 2015 as stated here for instance https://www.johnlewis.com/sony-bravia-kd43x83-led-4k-ultra-hd-android-tv-43-inch-with-freeview-hd-yo...

profile.country.GB.title
CyberWoogy

@angelacr  Sony do and have a history of making and breaking promises. Just look at some of these articles where owners of 2020 TVs are still awaiting a promised spec of their TVs to arrive;

https://www.hdtvtest.co.uk/n/Somy-confirms-HDMI-21-features-on-its-2020-LCD-and-OLED-TVs

https://www.windowscentral.com/sony-scrubs-vrr-and-allm-upgrade-x900h-x90h-tv-support-pages

https://www.techradar.com/uk/news/sony-tvs-are-finally-catching-up-with-the-ps5

My particular TV, an A90J, which cost over two and a half grand, was advertised with the UK TV catch-up services prior to pre-ordering. It wasn't until the day they were due to be released, the advert changed and advised as 'coming in 2021' was added, by which time the damn thing was already in my living room.

John Lewis, faced with a number of customers threatening to return their TVs, gave customers a £100 credit, as well as a fireTVstick. Not every retailer felt compelled to offer the same incentives.

Additional third party hardware isn't desirable as a workaround as it uses an HDMI port, which are at a premium on any TV.

The moral of the story is, do not buy anything based on the promise of a future update as it may never arrive, as has been proven.