Join now - be part of our community!

Sony XE90 Dolby 5.1 Pass-through

shaggy3500
Explorer

Sony XE90 Dolby 5.1 Pass-through

Hi

Can anyone confirm if the XE90 range, specifically the KD-49XDE9005 does Dolby 5.1 passthrough out of the digital optical output, I need it to play nicely with my Sonos Playbase and this is a requirement

Thanks in advance

Steve

8 REPLIES 8
profile.country.GB.title
stormyuk
Expert

Yes, it does Dolby Digital and DTS. I use pass through on a number of devices including Sony PS4 Pro and Youview PVR.

profile.country.AT.title
Kuschelmonschter
Hero

DTS passthrough does not work from most 3rd party apps as the MediaTek driver lacks support for ENCODING_DTS and ENCODING_IEC61937 Android AudioTrack APIs.

Some apps still use the old PCM hack which might or might not work. Problem with it is that it uses the umcrompressed PCM pipeline to output compressed bitstream audio. As soon as anything alters audio in any way (volume change, audio mixing), the compressed bitstream gets garbled which might harm your audio hardware or your ears as only a high pitched noise is output then. NOT RECOMMENDED!

Passthrough will work properly from external HDMI devices though, also for DTS.

shaggy3500
Explorer

Hi

Thanks for the responses, I'm just really concerned with Dolby Digital 5.1 form the digital optical output, as I don't think the Sonos handles DTS - so on that basis, is Dolby Digital 5.1 pass through ok?

Steve

profile.country.AT.title
Kuschelmonschter
Hero

Dolby should be fine for all sources. It can only be a problem if the app in use only supports the ENCODING_IEC61937 API. All apps that I know make use of the ENCODING_AC3 API though.

profile.country.GB.title
jaketame
New

Does anyone have an update on when we might see this implemented?

profile.country.GB.title
stormyuk
Expert

@jaketame wrote:

Does anyone have an update on when we might see this implemented?

In which respect, when I am using external sources, PS4, Youview, PS3, DVD etc they all pass thgrough Dolby Digital 5.1. All the apps I use, native video player, Prime video etc also output DD5.1? (the only Apps I don't get 5.1 on are Youtube and Google Movies)

What are you stuggling with exactly? 

profile.country.AT.title
Kuschelmonschter
Hero

@stormyuk  schrieb:

the only Apps I don't get 5.1 on are Youtube and Google Movies

YouTube only support Opus, Vorbis and AAC audio. So not 5.1 via passthrough unless the app can transcode stuff to Dolby.

Google Play Movies works for me.

profile.country.GB.title
stormyuk
Expert

@Kuschelmonschter wrote:

@stormyuk  schrieb:

the only Apps I don't get 5.1 on are Youtube and Google Movies

YouTube only support Opus, Vorbis and AAC audio. So not 5.1 via passthrough unless the app can transcode stuff to Dolby.

Google Play Movies works for me.

I noticed I still cannot get 5.1 sound from Google Play Movies, is this because I am using Optical and not the HDMI connection? Does Google Play Movies support 5.1 Dolby Digital via Optical (Both Netflix and Amazon seem to work fine for me, as does the internal video app).

Thanks,