Join now - be part of our community!

SONY OLED KD-55AF8 Image Retention and Burn In

profile.country.GB.title
Robbie-001
Explorer

SONY OLED KD-55AF8 Image Retention and Burn In

Sony Bravia OLED purchased in July 2018 now has faint signs of image retention/burn in for some reason. I am surprised that after such a short time that this could happen on these screens. I am  now acutely aware that is there and it is becoming more annoying. This was a relatively expensive TV when it was released in 2018 and I am surprised that there is no warranty on this type issue. Is there a repair for this or is this the end of the TV?

18 REPLIES 18
Piscie
Community Team

Hey @ Robbie,

Have you contacted Sony reps regarding this matter?

profile.country.GB.title
Robbie-001
Explorer

Hey Piscie,

No, I haven’t contacted Sony reps on this issue. I don’t expect Sony to take any action.

profile.country.GB.title
Lord_viridis
Expert

@Robbie-001  just out of interest mate, where did you buy it in 2018

profile.country.GB.title
Robbie-001
Explorer

@Lord_viridis , I purchased it 2018 at the John Lewis store in Aberdeen, UK.

profile.country.GB.title
Lord_viridis
Expert

Perfect!

John Lewis has a 5 year guarantee on all TVs

You may well be able to get it fixed under the guarantee.

Piscie
Community Team

Hey @ Robbie-001,

I'd recommend contacting the Sony reps regarding this issue as it might be covered under the warranty, it depends on which type is it. Also, have you updated your TV software to the latest version? You can just follow this link to update it.

profile.country.GB.title
Robbie-001
Explorer

Thanks,

Didn’t realise that about John Lewis 5 year guarantee. I will certainly contact JL and find out if there is anything that can be done. Nothing to loose.

profile.country.GB.title
Robbie-001
Explorer

Hi @Piscie,

I do have latest software update. I have also sent query to Sony and ask attached the below image showing the discolouration with specifically bright screen images.image1.jpeg

profile.country.GB.title
Robbie-001
Explorer

@Lord_viridis No joy with John Lewis. No joy with Sony. I spent a bunch of time trying Sony’s testing, restarting, sending photo’s and video’s only for them to tell me it needed to be inspected by a Sony engineer. No Sony centre in my area so probably not worthwhile booking an engineer to travel and not worth couriering the tv to a Sony centre. Sony help team not very helpful considering the tv is not very old and that image retention is a characteristic of the OLED technology. I didn’t expect to have of these type of symptoms with the tv this early on. I need to consider a suitable replacement for my tv and one that is not so susceptible to this image retention Sony OLED technology characteristic.