Join now - be part of our community!

Optical Cable won't go into Sony Soundbar

profile.country.GB.title
LagerthaL
Explorer

Optical Cable won't go into Sony Soundbar

I bought the Sony Bravia XE83 this week (55") and bought the Sony Sound Bar with it (HT-CT290/HT-CT291).

I was given the Digital Optical Cable (Sandstrom Silver Series Audio TOSLINK cable) to connect the Sound Bar to the TV.   However, after removing the dust caps and clicking one end of the cable into the back of the TV (with a nice firm 'click' sound) i tried to connect the other end into the back of the Sound Bar with absolute no luck.  These connectors are square.

The Sound Bar casing seems to obstruct the optical cable going in any further so it just hangs loosly out of the back, and if you knock it it just falls out.

The Optical Cable did come with mini TOSLINK adaptors but these do not fit into the hole either, as they are pointed.

Any advice would be great.  Thanks in advance.

5 REPLIES 5
profile.country.HR.title
kinggo01
Contributor

that really looks tight. Anyway, Probably the end of the cable is to bulky. Try with another one or just gently rasp the one you have. As long as you don't scratch the fiber itself you will be fine.

profile.country.GB.title
Mooly01
Contributor

TOSLINK connectors can be extremely tight on occasion. I suspect you probably just need to push harder tbh.

profile.country.GB.title
Xsister2
Explorer

The connectors and their corresponding sockets are not square.  The top two edges of the male connector are slightly bevelled and will only fit if you line them up correctly with the bevels in the socket.  They will only go in one way.  Had this problem with a DVD player and went looking for the correct cable only to find that on closer inspection I noticed the bevels on the top of the plug.  Once orientated the plug will go into the socket with a click.  Make sure in your efforts to insert the plug you have'nt damaged the edges of the plug, this will obviously make it harder to insert once orientated.

profile.country.GB.title
LagerthaL
Explorer

Hi there

Thanks for the replies.  In the end I went back to Currys PC World and asked the Sony sales woman (who was very helpful) what the problem with the connectors was.  Turns out the previous shop assistant had provided me with the wrong connectors so they were never going to go in (the ones i need are very small)!!!

So I spent a few hours trying to fit something that was never going to work! *hit face with palm* 

Thanks for your help - Merry Christmas!  (Oh and my sound bar works a treat!)

profile.country.GB.title
Mooly01
Contributor

Thanks for the update. Pleased to hear you got it sorted and our enjoying the set-up.