Join now - be part of our community!

KDL50W755c won't switch off with remote or power button on TV.

zeetha
Explorer

KDL50W755c won't switch off with remote or power button on TV.

Hi,

We're very happy with our TV which we've had since late last year but recently we've had 3 occasions where the TV won't switch off.  It is after we've thought we've switched it off but come back to a black screen with a white light below the screen which is bigger than normal.  Pressing the power button on the remote and on the back of the TV doesn't do anything and trying to get a picture on the screen doesn't work either.  The only way to fix it is to turn the TV off and then on again at the mains.

I did try searching the community but couldn't the same issue.  Does anyone know of anyway to fix this or is it a fault?

Thanks,

Zeetha

22 REPLIES 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi there

Can you please confirm if this is still happening after the firmware update a few days ago?

Cheers

zeetha
Explorer

Hi,

I waited a few days just to see if was still happening but so far it hasn't so *fingers crossed* I think the firmware update has fixed it! *phew*

Thanks,

Zeetha

Anonymous
Not applicable

Brilliant - yes phew :wink:  thanks for confirming.

zeetha
Explorer

I should have waited a bit longer before reporting it fixed - its still not working properly occasionally and I have to unplug from the mains before using it as the remote won't control it.

*sigh*

profile.country.GB.title
Woolly
Explorer

Hi did you manage to fix this as we have had the same problem for a few months now.

Thanks

zeetha
Explorer

Hi,

Sorry to say that we still have this problem, though in a way its good to know we're not alone!

I've opened a support ticket with Sony and they have suggested to try a complete power off for 1 minute (didn't work) and a factory reset which we've just tried so will let you know if it works.  After that we have to give them a lot more detail about firmware versions etc and they will investigate further.

profile.country.GB.title
Woolly
Explorer

Thanks for replying.  We've been to our supplier who has ordered a replacement remote, although I don't think this is the problem but other alternative is a reset so will be interested to know how you get on before we try this.

Simala
Explorer

Hi,

My Sony, purchased last year, has developed an issue where if I turn the TV off I can come back later on and find that the white light at the bottom has come on. I can switch on the TV however when I try to switch it off again it doesn't respond to the control or power switch on the back of the TV meaning it has to be unplugged. A forum suggested holding down the power button on the remote for five seconds but this hasn't worked. Has this been a similar experience to the people in this thread?

thanks

pl.penev75
Explorer

The solution is the exclusion of the "ARMING TV from mobile devices."
The function is deactivated when the initial setting of the TV.