Join now - be part of our community!

KDL-46EX723 How to make it Bluetooth to connect Bluetooth headphones

SOLVED
profile.country.GB.title
Deanne100
Explorer

KDL-46EX723 How to make it Bluetooth to connect Bluetooth headphones

Hi Chaps n Lasses

I bought my Bravia KDL-46EX723 quite some time ago.  There is no doubt that it has withstood the test of time.  I'd thought I'd future proofed it beyond 2020 mind!  I've never been able to use the browser!  Apparently it is no longer supported nor are updates.  Annoying.

The latest bug bear is 'Bluetooth'.  It simply does not have it but I've learned that there is a work around or is there?  I'd like to connect any Bluetooth peripheral to my TV as and when but predominantly, I'd like to listen to my TV via Bluetooth headphones.  I've new neighbours who are about to start some major noisy work.  My research has taught me that I need a Bluetooth transmitter/receiver.  Am I right?  Even if I am right, there are so many out there with vastly differing prices and reviews and specs.

Can anyone please tell me what it is I need to buy to achieve my aim please?

Many thanks :slight_smile:

PS.  There is always a budget 😞

All help and suggestions are welcome.  Thank you :slight_smile:

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
profile.country.GB.title
royabrown2
Hero

@Deanne100 

You’ve bought the wrong sort of BT transmitter for optical; probably cheaper and easier to get one that does optical than to try and get a converter.

But all is not lost with the one you have, if it’s just you; the main advantage of the optical option is that it doesn’t cut out the TV sound for other listeners. So if there aren’t any other listeners (apart from your lovely cat), then not having that doesn’t matter.

Though maybe these Sony TVs can feed headphones without cutting off their speakers? I don’t know.

Anyway, you want your device in Transmitter mode - red light on it, not blue.

But best when setting up, paradoxically perhaps, to have the device in blue light mode, start the pairing process on the headphones (see the instructions that came with them), and then flip the BT device into red light mode, at which it should ‘see’ the headphones asking to pair, and pair with them.

Once you have this set up, you won’t have to repeat it every time; the two devices should now auto-recognise each other in the future.

And the TV sound should now be coming out of the headphones (only), so no danger of you disturbing the works next door with your loud TV 😛

The only other thing, apropos of ear defenders,  is maybe you could have got noise-cancelling headphones? They cost a bit more, but they listen to the racket from next door, invert it and play it back - so it cancels out the noise as plus + minus = zero. Or pretty close anyway. Just a thought.....

My favourite bedtime reading is a Sony product manual…

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
profile.country.GB.title
royabrown2
Hero

@Deanne100 

Good luck future-proofing a 2012 TV, which predates Android by three years, let alone anything else, including 4K 😛

Though I have given my 2012 Samsung a new lease of life by plugging in a Roku Stick to take over from the Smart Hub, where few if any of the apps still work. I’m pretty sure it has a browser, though browsing on a TV is a triumph of technology over common sense in my book.

I can’t recommend any particular Bluetooth transmitter because I have never bought one, but they are aplenty on Amazon and the like.

You only need a transmitter, though many of them are dual, and act as receivers as well. If the one you like is dual, buy it anyway, and ignore the receiver side.

Get one that works off the optical out of your TV; that will be your best bet.

Look for at least aptX, and preferably aptX HD, in both transmitter and headphones, assuming you have yet to buy these. If you already have the headphones, just make sure the transmitter works with whatever is the highest quality the headphones can manage.

Good luck!

profile.country.GB.title
Deanne100
Explorer

Hi Roy

I've tried to no avail :(.  The TV has many apps that I'm good with.  It really is just the sound via Bluetooth headphones I'm after because of the works going on next door.

I've even tried casting from my pc to the tv so that I can get the sound through the headphones.  In that, I've learned that the VM Tivo 6 box does not support casting!!!!

COVID has put paid to any human support from VIrgin so I've hit a brick wall there too!

Round and round in circles I go.

Thanks again Roy. :slight_smile:

Oh well

profile.country.GB.title
Deanne100
Explorer

PS.  I now have a Bluetooth transmitter fitted and seemingly operational but I've no idea where I can check this on the TV and the headphones are not picking it up!  Any idea's?

profile.country.GB.title
royabrown2
Hero

@Deanne100 

The TV won’t know that the Bluetooth transmitter is there, so the best you can do is ensure that whatever the transmitter is linked to (Optical?) is getting sound output as a suitable volume level.

After that, it’s a matter of pairing transmitter and headphones, according to their manuals as to which one asks and which one replies.

Can you give details of make and model for both the transmitter and the headphones, so we can see their manuals if you need further help?

profile.country.GB.title
Deanne100
Explorer

Hi Roy

I'm embarrassed to admit that I bought  a very simply and cheap USB transmitter and receiver from China.  I was loathe to fork out a fortune to find my mission impossible.  Pics of equipment are attached.

Thank you ever so much for your time.  It is truly appreciated.  Works in the adjoining house are underway.  It is deafening.  No exaggeration.  I need ear defenders.  

Diane30 Oct 2020 - 1.jpg30 Oct 2020 - 2.jpgIMG_20201030_182311434.jpgIMG_20201030_182343280.jpg

profile.country.GB.title
Deanne100
Explorer
profile.country.GB.title
Deanne100
Explorer

Hi again Roy

I go through spurts of learning.  I now realise what you mean by 'optical'.  Nope, I've been using 3.5 mm jack to audio out, not optical.  I now appreciate that I need to convert one end of the lead to 'optical'.  Is there a quick and easy way? All recommendations are welcome.

Good news....my laptop is picking up the transmitter/receiver, so at least I know that it is working :slight_smile:  I can't get it to actually function mind.  I used to feel that I was tech savvy, not anymore.  Again, 'thank you' Roy. :slight_smile:

profile.country.GB.title
royabrown2
Hero

@Deanne100 

You’ve bought the wrong sort of BT transmitter for optical; probably cheaper and easier to get one that does optical than to try and get a converter.

But all is not lost with the one you have, if it’s just you; the main advantage of the optical option is that it doesn’t cut out the TV sound for other listeners. So if there aren’t any other listeners (apart from your lovely cat), then not having that doesn’t matter.

Though maybe these Sony TVs can feed headphones without cutting off their speakers? I don’t know.

Anyway, you want your device in Transmitter mode - red light on it, not blue.

But best when setting up, paradoxically perhaps, to have the device in blue light mode, start the pairing process on the headphones (see the instructions that came with them), and then flip the BT device into red light mode, at which it should ‘see’ the headphones asking to pair, and pair with them.

Once you have this set up, you won’t have to repeat it every time; the two devices should now auto-recognise each other in the future.

And the TV sound should now be coming out of the headphones (only), so no danger of you disturbing the works next door with your loud TV 😛

The only other thing, apropos of ear defenders,  is maybe you could have got noise-cancelling headphones? They cost a bit more, but they listen to the racket from next door, invert it and play it back - so it cancels out the noise as plus + minus = zero. Or pretty close anyway. Just a thought.....

profile.country.GB.title
Deanne100
Explorer

Hi Roy

It worked. You are a gem.

Thank you ever so much.  You've made my day :slight_smile: